Hyped Fuzz (with fuzz mod)

jeffwhitfield

I built this one to replace an AionFX Hypercube Fuzz that wasn't working right. Seemed like one of the fuzz modes was missing a lot of treble and felt way too bass-y. I purchased a Behringer Super Fuzz SF300 to verify this. Figure that would be enough to test things...and it was.

After learning that the SF300 has a hidden third fuzz mode, I wanted to make another FZ-2 clone that could incorporate this mod. The Hyped Fuzz looked much simpler than the AionFX Hypercube...which makes sense considering it's more or less based on the SF300 instead of the actual Boss FZ-2. Adding the extra fuzz mode was as easy as just adding a switch and wiring to the Mode switch to blend the two main fuzz modes together. Works quite well and sounds pretty damn cool. Nice third fuzz mode for sure! :)

Design-wise, I kept the same design I did for the AionFX Argent which was in turn based on a different Boss pedal, the FZ-3. However, unlike the Argent, I like this one enough to keep it in on the shelf instead of the archive. :p

IMG_0070.jpeg
IMG_0071.jpeg

Looks clean. (y)

I have a board populated but not boxed yet.
How do you set the main switch to get the new mode?

Looks clean. (y)

I have a board populated but not boxed yet.
How do you set the main switch to get the new mode?
Super easy mod. Just add jumpers on the two pins of the mode switch as shown on this thread:

Other ends of the jumpers go to the middle pin and any outside pin of a SPDT on-on switch. While in either a fuzz #1 or #2 (won’t work in Boost mode) turning on the extra switch enables both modes.

Thank you. I remember that thread now. I’ll have to fiddle with that before I box it up. I have the Behringer pedal, but I usually leave it on Fuzz 2.

Back