I Need a Better Clear Coat...

yazooligan

So far I've been using this, and it never fully hardens, so laying a cable on an enclosure weeks after spraying will still leave impressions in the clear. Unacceptable.

I'm doing inkjet waterslide decals for my art and need a sturdy clear. I welcome your suggestions!

I just use plain old Rustoleum Painter's Touch 2X UltraCover Gloss Clear and it's done me well. I spray light coats but in a warm/dry enough environment (which happens rarely around here in Chicago) I usually get by with a couple coats over laser on a pedal and when I used an inkjet a coat or two on inkjet paper. Tricky part is spraying the first coat on the decal as a dusting to get the ink to set and not run.

I used just a can of normal Krylon clear and it seemed to work pretty good. Stupid question but did you shake the can up really good before you applyed it? If it had been sitting a while the paint needs to be mixed back up.

I have a can of that stuff in the garage thinking it'd be good for pedals. Nice to know it's not the best stuff to use.

I used that triple thick Krylon for years without issues. It was my favourite! I just can't seem to get it locally anymore otherwise I'd still use it.

Maybe they've changed the formula or something? I built many pedals that looked great using it.

So far I've been using this, and it never fully hardens, so laying a cable on an enclosure weeks after spraying will still leave impressions in the clear. Unacceptable.

I'm doing inkjet waterslide decals for my art and need a sturdy clear. I welcome your suggestions!
I use envirotex epoxy. It’s pretty bullet proof once you get past the drilling. It’s definitely not for everyone. There’s a serious learning curve when it comes to drilling out your holes. It takes the patience of a saint and quite a few fails but once you’ve got it it becomes surprisingly easy.

Thanks so much for all the replies, folks. I'll reply here and/or start a new thread if I find a new favorite.

I used "Model Master" enamel top coat. They sell it at my local D&D hobby shop for the little figurines. It works great if you do two or three light coats at room temp. If you spray too thick it gets crackled looking. But it gets fully hardened in a couple hours. I got impatient on one pedal and assembled it after 30mins without too much trouble. Link below.

Model Master!

Back