ICL7660SCPAZ vs TC1044SCPA

Fontelroy

Howdy folks, been messing around with 7660SCPAZ lately and have found them better in almost everyway to the 1044's I had been using. I don't know if there's any downsides to the 7660SCPAZ yet but they seem to play much nicer with power supplies than 1044's so if there's any trade offs folks have experienced I'd love to know!

Last edited:
My impression is that 1044 is considered an upgrade to 7660 (spec wise anyway). I've used both without issues though. lt1054 is supposed to be better than both.

I get whine with the 1044 on certain power supplies that goes away with the 7660, for me it's been quite the upgrade!
edit. I should be more specific, the 7660S is what I've been using, I believe there are versions of the 7660 that have a noticeable oscillation

I generally try to use a 7660S whenever a schematic calls for a 1044 now because of prior times when using the 7660S cured charge pump whine that I was getting with a 1044.

I think the only downside, going off memory, not datasheets, is the 7660S has less current. But iirc, was (maybe) 100ma- enough for most noise boxes.
I could be remembering completely wrong though. YOU RTFDS

I had a few builds that used the 1044 and when I used my TC Electronics Quintessence (digital pedal) after them, there was a whine. @music6000 turned me on to the ICL7660SPAZ and that cured that problem. I pretty much have been using them whenever a 1044 is listed. Here's the old thread:

I'm interested to know about the lt1054 if that's better...

I get whine with the 1044 on certain power supplies that goes away with the 7660, for me it's been quite the upgrade!
edit. I should be more specific, the 7660S is what I've been using, I believe there are versions of the 7660 that have a noticeable oscillation
Yep, the non-"S" versions have their onboard oscillator in the audio range and so are unsuitable for our purposes.

Back