I'm Another "First Pedal Won't Work" Idiot (Triangulum)

JimF

Hi all,
Currently building the Triangulum Boost (clone of a Fortin 33). Surprise surprise, it doesn't work.

The LED works, I get sound with the pedal on bypass but with MASSIVE earth/ground hum. When the pedal is engaged I get a different hum (60hz?). I'm taking this to be two seperate problems.
When the pot is turned, the hum sounds different. Well, to be honest it sounds like an interference hum with a clean boost dimed :LOL: This makes me think the pedal is functioning correctly, but the issue is with the signal getting through the switch.

I've checked continuity through the pins of the footswitch, all seems fine.
I've used IPA and scrubbed the back of the board with a toothbrush.
I've re-flowed the solder joints, including adding more solder to any suspect looking ones.
I've noticed that IC1 doesn't get warm, only IC100. I checked the voltages and whilst I can't remember them exactly, they didn't seem to match up to what they should be.

I'm a bit stuck for ideas now.

Pics attached below. The zoomed in pic is to show those rogue strands of wire aren't making contact.

If you're explaining things, please speak like you're talking to your dog. This is probably only the 10th time I've soldered anything. I don't have a great understanding of electronics, but at least I'm honest! I wanted to build the pedals I couldn't afford/find locally, rather than start a pedal building business or something.

First build & first post, be gentle please! Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0368.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0368.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 56
  • thumbnail_IMG_0370.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0370.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 55
  • thumbnail_IMG_0372.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0372.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 34
  • thumbnail_IMG_0373.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0373.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 29
  • thumbnail_IMG_0374.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0374.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 27
  • thumbnail_IMG_0375.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0375.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 24
  • thumbnail_IMG_0376.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0376.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 26
  • thumbnail_IMG_0377.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0377.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 29
  • thumbnail_IMG_0379.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0379.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 31
  • thumbnail_IMG_0378.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0378.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 55
Further pics

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0380.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0380.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 23
  • thumbnail_IMG_0381.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0381.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 24
  • thumbnail_IMG_0382.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0382.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 23
  • thumbnail_IMG_0384.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0384.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 21
  • thumbnail_IMG_0385.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0385.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 22
  • thumbnail_IMG_0386.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0386.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 24
Those components are spare so left them off. I decided less soldering means less mistakes made whilst soldering.
Also, was sat here looking at the pics wondering about the jack socket! So if you think that too then I'm happy :D
I believe the missing components shenanigans was down to when Fortin cloned the TC Electronics Preamp but with fixed settings, and that pedal had a circuit which muted the pedal when the lead was removed.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    5.5 KB · Views: 9
I have not built the pedal so will defer to you and your sources on whether they can be left off. Good call on your part if that is the case.

The jack may fix the hum but won't solve the problem if you are not getting distortion in the pedal. But a step in the right direction, and a reasonable choice for a first project for you.

I have not built the pedal so will defer to you and your sources on whether they can be left off. Good call on your part if that is the case.

The jack may fix the hum but won't solve the problem if you are not getting distortion in the pedal. But a step in the right direction, and a reasonable choice for a first project for you.
Jack may well fix it it's the input that's wired wrong

Corrected the input jack. Works well on bypass. Still getting a loud buzz when engaged. Re-flowed any problematic looking solder points. Still no joy.

Obvious would point the Solder side of the board, It's not pretty.
Others would say Isopryl with a toothbrush.
I personally use CRC Electronic Contact Cleaner, the Highlighted area's are a mess but the hole board needs to be cleaned as there looks like some suspect solder pads :
Question Mark.jpg

Thank you! I actually have some CRC Contact Cleaner I used when stripping my old amp down.
Naturally it isn't pretty, kinda learning as I go!
Thank you for taking the time to highlight my problematic areas!
So best plan of action is to clean the back of the board with the contact cleaner, then try to re-flow those highlighted areas?
I'm determined to make this work!

What type of transistor did you use? Also measure IC1 voltages and post them.

I bought everything as recommended on the build list, but I can find the invoice for the specific item if it would help?

Going to clean the board up tonight, re-flow the suspect joints and also remove & re-solder the pot. I'll be back with voltages!

Thanks for the help again guys! Hopefully I can return the favour at some point.

Okay, I didn't realise my wifi went off and that reply didn't post, but here I am with voltages. Also cleaned the board off and reflowed any questionable joints.

Pin 2 (-input) - 19.7v
Pin 3 (Vref) - 17.4v
Pin 6 (output) - 0.14v
Pin 7 (Vcc) - 23.0v

Havn't had chance to test it (bit late to fire up the Engl), but I'm presuming I won't have magically fixed it with contact cleaner, a toothbrush and double checking the solder joints...

Last edited:
Back