Indicator Light for Eyelet Fuzzrite?

ChunkyKarma

I'm making a Fuzzrite from an Amplified Parts eyelet board but want to house it in a regular enclosure. What would be my best approach for adding an LED indicator light so I know when it's on?
Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 14-31-40 p-pc-fuzz-mos_wiring_diagram.pdf.png

That's not period correct.
Use a 120v 2 pronged plug and just tie the neutral to the chassis.
50% of the time, you'll know.

(This is a sarcastic joke about historically poor electrical design choices. Don't do this.)
Edit:dat frunk fumbs.
Ahh... the good ole days of sparks flying between your lips and the microphone while playing guitar !
In my day we didn't need no stinkin pyrotechnics.

Ahh... the good ole days of sparks flying between your lips and the microphone while playing guitar !
In my day we didn't need no stinkin pyrotechnics.
I think it was a given that any microphone was going to shock you. I don’t think we ever had a practice space that was ever sufficiently grounded.

Hi ChunkyKarma, the Fuzzrite board mounts to the case via the DPDT so using something else is tricky. The footswitch wiring on the Fuzzrite is particularly odd as well. I THINK that you should be able to do it with a minor tweak, but you should probably test this before soldering anything permanently. The diode should be connected like the rough green drawing here, and the wire that WAS connected to that footswitch lug should be moved down to the lug below it (that wire has been highlighted in purple here and has been moved to the necessary lug in this drawing).

1691625464399.png

The jack sleeves and case normally aren't connected to the board's ground or to the battery ground when disengaged. All 3 of those grounds come together when the effect is engaged only (with normal Fuzzrite wiring). Here, the jack sleeves are instead permanently connected to the battery ground here (purple wire), and that connection from the jack/battery ground is made to the board ground via a single pole of the footswitch when engaged. We are using the other pole to complete the LED connection to ground when the effect is engaged.

Thanks for the reply! I thought there might be a way that would include the mounted switch. I ended up going the 3PDT route - it worked (and fit) as well. Pics below. Quick question: why is the volume pot wired backwards in the above diagram? Is that how the original was wired?
1691772278511.jpeg 1691772305876.jpeg 1691773016939.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice, glad you got it going. That's correct - the original was wired "backwards" from what you'd normally do. When the pots are mounted on the top/back rather than the face of the enclosure, the intuitive way to turn the control "up" is turning the knob to the right, which is actually a counter-clockwise rotation. If you mount the pots to the face of the enclosure, wiring them normally (NOT the way the Fuzzrite did it) makes more sense.

Back