Jfet Boost - Low Volume

Fontelroy

Howdy folks, I got the boost working but I'm subbing out some of its key parts so I wouldn't be surprised if that's led to this potentially low output of the pedal. I'm currently using a pair of 2N5457's and a TL072 of sketchy origin. For anyone that's familiar with the 29 pedals jfet boost or this project, does it have a ton of output? With it cranked I'm getting a little bit of a volume boost, but not a lot. -

I forgot about the pedal's funky power section that lets it accept all sorts of different stuff, anywho I thought upping the voltage might increase the volume/headroom. Using AC works, but it definitely added some noise. Not much of a volume bump going to 18v tho
Did you ever try swapping out the TL072? I just built a pedal with a couple of screechy TL072s -- swapped them out, and everything works fine now.

I did go with one that was slightly off, the build calls for a slightly unusual 49k9 and I think I may have used a 51k. unfortunately this pedal doesn't have build docs yet and I do not remember which resistor it was so I'd have to pop a few of them up to check.

I did go with one that was slightly off, the build calls for a slightly unusual 49k9 and I think I may have used a 51k. unfortunately this pedal doesn't have build docs yet and I do not remember which resistor it was so I'd have to pop a few of them up to check.
I doubt that would make a difference. If you found a 10K where there was supposed to be a 1M, then I'd say replace it, but I don't see that as your problem.

Well I did track it down and replace the proper resistor to 49k9 as that did arrive in the mail earlier today, but yea doesn't seem to make a giant difference. I did pop in what I'm pretty sure is a good tl072. between that and the resistor change i feel like it's maybe a little louder but that could just be cuz I'm up past my bedtime
sb jfet.jpg

The power supply is regulated so increasing the voltage won't have an effect.

The JFETs are likely the cause of your low volume. If you have a method of measuring them these are the specs as measured from the original:

Q1
Vgs(off)=-0.81V at Id=5.0µA
Vgs(on)=-0.27V at Id=5.00mA
gfs=22.2mA/V at Id=3.0mA to 5.0mA
Idss>12.00mA at Vds=2.13V
Rds(on)=17.5Ω at Id=5.0mA and Vgs=0.0V

Q2
Vgs(off)=-0.92V at Id=4.9µA
Vgs(on)=-0.35V at Id=5.00mA
gfs=20.2mA/V at Id=3.0mA to 5.0mA
Idss>12.00mA at Vds=1.60V
Rds(on)=18.2Ω at Id=5.0mA and Vgs=0.0V

I'm planning to have some of the JFETs in stock shortly, when I get them I could solder a couple onto breakout boards for you if you aren't up to fooling with SMD.

The power supply is regulated so increasing the voltage won't have an effect.

The JFETs are likely the cause of your low volume. If you have a method of measuring them these are the specs as measured from the original:

Q1
Vgs(off)=-0.81V at Id=5.0µA
Vgs(on)=-0.27V at Id=5.00mA
gfs=22.2mA/V at Id=3.0mA to 5.0mA
Idss>12.00mA at Vds=2.13V
Rds(on)=17.5Ω at Id=5.0mA and Vgs=0.0V

Q2
Vgs(off)=-0.92V at Id=4.9µA
Vgs(on)=-0.35V at Id=5.00mA
gfs=20.2mA/V at Id=3.0mA to 5.0mA
Idss>12.00mA at Vds=1.60V
Rds(on)=18.2Ω at Id=5.0mA and Vgs=0.0V

I'm planning to have some of the JFETs in stock shortly, when I get them I could solder a couple onto breakout boards for you if you aren't up to fooling with SMD.
gotcha, my transistor tester works on jfets but I didn't have a way to test out the proper ones I got from mouser before unsuccessfully trying to solder them, I originally tried J201s and then the 5457, but I'll dive back into my stash and see if I can't find any closer to the specs you posted, thanks for the info!

Back