KiCAD Workflow Question (from Diptrace user)

finebyfine

I’m trying to get my feet wet with KiCad 7 - my mac has recently become my daily driver for work, and DipTrace for mac is atrocious.

I’m looking for some advice on KiCad workflows, as the schematic editor is where I get bogged down and I’m unsure if the better option is to emulate my DipTrace workflow or learn a new one for KiCad.

With DipTrace I have my user symbol libraries setup so that one “main” one is what I use for drawing schematics. This library includes common components, net flags, ports, etc. These are assigned my most used PCB footprints for those components. So for example, when I am drawing a polarized capacitor I don’t differentiate the size until I am done drawing the schematic. This setup has sped up my schematic drawing a ton.

I’ll then go through and change any components’ footprints as needed (cap size, transistor pinouts, etc) for the schematic before converting the schematic to a PCB.

Can this workflow be translated over to KiCad? Or is there a different way I should be thinking about component organization and workflow?

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated!

I’m trying to get my feet wet with KiCad 7 - my mac has recently become my daily driver for work, and DipTrace for mac is atrocious.

I’m looking for some advice on KiCad workflows, as the schematic editor is where I get bogged down and I’m unsure if the better option is to emulate my DipTrace workflow or learn a new one for KiCad.

With DipTrace I have my user symbol libraries setup so that one “main” one is what I use for drawing schematics. This library includes common components, net flags, ports, etc. These are assigned my most used PCB footprints for those components. So for example, when I am drawing a polarized capacitor I don’t differentiate the size until I am done drawing the schematic. This setup has sped up my schematic drawing a ton.

I’ll then go through and change any components’ footprints as needed (cap size, transistor pinouts, etc) for the schematic before converting the schematic to a PCB.

Can this workflow be translated over to KiCad? Or is there a different way I should be thinking about component organization and workflow?

You can definitely do this- drop all your symbols then bulk change the vals and footprints.

1700408548700.png

1700408673646.png

I prefer to take the pain during the initial schematic drawing. Going back later and updating footprints is really annoying to me. So if I have a few 3.5mm x 7.2mm box caps I typically copy and paste off the first one entered on the schematic rather than re-selecting from my library. I'm really really looking forward to the day that I can just import schematics as-is from LTspice in any case!

The method @KR Sound mentioned looks great for some things though, I'll have to give it a try and see how it works for me.

There is some mention of making DipTrace perform better on Linux by installing a particular version of Wine.

I wonder if this somehow could apply to the Mac version as well? I know it comes pre-packaged, so maybe that isn't the case.

Exactly what @KR Sound said.

I typically press "a" or "ctrl a" (cant remember) this will open up the component window and you can start searching for components here. Do not worry about the footprints at this moment you just want the symbol. I usually go for the small versions of resistors and caps. Once i have said symbol on the schem sheet its a matter of just duplicating the symbol and changing the value for it to match the exact value for that spot.

This workflow will get get you building a FF in 3 min no kidding.

I prefer to take the pain during the initial schematic drawing. Going back later and updating footprints is really annoying to me. So if I have a few 3.5mm x 7.2mm box caps I typically copy and paste off the first one entered on the schematic rather than re-selecting from my library. I'm really really looking forward to the day that I can just import schematics as-is from LTspice in any case!

The method @KR Sound mentioned looks great for some things though, I'll have to give it a try and see how it works for me.
I typically use that after I’ve finished a layout. It’s a good way to check that the footprints are there, and a nice overview before you head over to the pcb.

Eagle user here trying to get started with KiCad. Any tutorials that are recommended to get me going? I tried diptrace and did not like it. I am using a mac so based on what I am seeing here that could be why, lol.

Back