King Midas Overdrive humm

Quentin

Hello,
I have just built a King Midas overdrive. The pedal works in bypass mode and the clean signal has no issue. But when the pedal is engaged I do get the led for power. The issue is that their is a constant loud hum and no guitar signal seems to be making it through the pedal. This hum is not affected by turning the pots it’s the same constant hum no matter what. Can someone help before I go nuts.
Thank you all.

I’m a little perplexed how your bypass signal is fine but you definitely have your tip connections on your jacks connected to the ground plane on the pcb so maybe it’s just connecting through that portion of the board. Either way, swap those Jack connections and you should be golden

I resolved the constant humm now I only have bypass sound. The power led comes on but no sound when I move the pots. Is there anything else I may be overlooking?

An you take a picture of the other side of the board? You didn’t socket the bigger IC so I’m wondering if maybe you applied too much heat to it while soldering

That board needs a good thorough cleaning with a toothbrush and some Isopropyl alcohol. Get all that flux residue off and then really inspect your joints. From what I can see you likely have some joints that are either cold or didn’t flow correctly need to be reflowed.

watch some soldering tutorials on YouTube. It’s really important to be using a good iron with the right temp for the solder you’re using.

Yeah definitely clean, reflow and then clean again. If there still ain’t nothing happening I’d break out an audio probe to find where the signal is dying in the circuit.

Back