King of Nothing: Ordered IRF740 from Tayda, received BS170

fuzz

I dont know enough about parts interchangeability. I followed the link in the C2CE King of Nothing build docs, ordered what I thought were IRF740's and received BS170's in a baggie marked as IRF740. They look completely different. Not sure what to do at this point, other than reorder from somewhere else if these parts are not interchangeable...

I wrote an e-mail, but I just found out about the error. Just wondering if it's an interchangeable part or if I should source elsewhere in the meantime...Based on cursory research it doesn't look to be an interchangeable part, at least in terms of the voltage this particular pedal produces...

Tayda has datasheets for both; each product's page has a link to the datasheet:

Get the datasheets and compare details, such as but not limited to the following:

IRF740BS170
VGS2v–4v0.8v–3v
IDSS25µA0.5µA
IGSS100nA10nA
GFS5.8S320mS
RDS0.55Ω

Further to my post above, I'd like to add that I'm still trying to figure out how to effectively read data-sheets myself.

While I can't explain the items in the far left column above off the top of my head, without looking up what they mean, I can still see the numbers don't even come close to matching.

If you look at diodes 1N914 and 1N4148 datasheets, for a good example of compatibility, you'll find they're basically bang on in spec:

1N914 Fairchild1N4148 Vishay
VR Breakdown Voltage100v (IR=100µA)100v (IR=100µA)
VF Forward Voltage1v (IF=10mA)1v (IF=10mA)
IR Reverse Leakage0.025µA (VR=20v)25nA (VR=20v) . . . [ 25nA = .025µA]
CT Total Capacitance4pF4pF
trr Reverse Recovery Time4ns4ns

They're identical, why don't the two diodes share the same name? Some further sleuthing online reveals :

"The 1N4148 can handle slightly higher forward current (300mA) compared to the 1N914 (200mA). Reverse Recovery Time: The 1N4148 typically has a faster reverse recovery time than the 1N914. This characteristic might be important in high-frequency or fast-switching applications."

When I'm in doubt, I ask the great oracle — typing into an Internet Search Engine such as Google what alternatives are available for a J201, for example, gets back:

J113 and PN4393 are both pin compatible with a J201.

The J113 doesn't have as much gain as the J201, though, I've read.

Another JFET, 2N5457 is often given as a compatible replacement for the J201, and while it has more gain than a J113, it still hasn't quite got the oomph of the J201, IIRC.

For more on JFETs, read the thoughts of those with far superior knowledge than I:

So, asking the oracle if IRF740 is compatible with BS170 and the first and only hit that mentions the two of them together is this thread.

That's a pretty good indication to me that they are not mutually compatible. 😸

Haha yea, I assumed they were not a direct 1 for 1 but wasn’t having much Google luck. Tayda said sorry, offered to replace or credit. I opted for credit as I had already bought replacements from Mouser

Back