J201 substitute? Oh no, not again...

temol

Question: what's the J201 substitute for ....? Is there a J201 substitute?
Answer: it depends :)

I'd like to share my point of view for a J201 replacements, using Son of Ben an an example.
So we're using JFET for amplifying signal (gain stage).

But before I start with measurements, ltspice sim results, etc...

Most schematics do not mention anything about JFET parameters (Vp, Idss) so even if we have the same transistor model, we cannot be sure that the parameters of the transistors we intend to use are similar to those of the original circuit. The use of a substitute complicates the matter even more because since there is no 1:1 substitute for J201, it is to be expected that our circuit will not sound identical to the original. It can be similar, more or less, but not the same. So - if we want to have a faithful copy of the original (soundwise) - we need to use transistors identical to the original. I omit here other issues such as tolerance of other components in the circuit.

Let's start.

I chose 4 JFET models.
J201 (MMBFJ201) - because it's in the original circuit.
2N5457 (MMBF5457) - because it's often listed as J201 replacement.
2SK208-R - because in my opinion it's a good J201 replacement.
2SK117GR - because it was mentioned on the forum as a possible replacement.

I've measured three pieces of each model - Vp and Idss, then I've tried my best to replicate each transistor in ltspice. So I have separate ltspice model for each transistor. Probably an overkill but why not. Especially that in a real life we rarely have identical JFET transistors (unless we select them).

1673696481754.png

As mentioned before - in my opinion 2SK208R is quite close to J201. Espeially if we take low Vp/Idss J201's. I have many MMBFJ201's with Vp below -0.7V.

Now some ltspice.

Comparison of the frequency response - output of the SoB. Note similar frequency response of the J201 and 2SK208R.

1673696880439.png

Output signal.
1673698387721.png

I've tried to keep the drain voltages the same for each circuit. PPCB build doc says - TRIM1 - 2k. So for Q1 (J201) we have total drain resistance of 12k and around 6V. Different JFET models require different drain resistor value to set 6V. Higher or lower than 12k.

Drain resistance values. In red - values below 10k, so in order to set the desired voltage it's necessary to jumper or lower default 10k resistor in series with a trimmer.
1673699421124.png

Signal on Q1, Q2 and Q3 drains.
1673700215130.png 1673700381698.png 1673700504126.png

And frequency response for the Q1, Q2 and Q3 drains.

1673700943720.png

To be continued...

Last edited:
The differences in freq response and transient response curves can be attributed to three things: drain resistor, transconductance and drain-gate capacitance. Different JFETs with the same part # will exhibit differences.

The differences in freq response and transient response curves can be attributed to three things: drain resistor, transconductance and drain-gate capacitance. Different JFETs with the same part # will exhibit differences.
That's right. To some degree it's possible to correct frequency response by changing resistor or capacitor value along the way or maybe even adding/removing R or C. Unfortunately, sometimes an improvement in one place breaks something else. Also, when making corrections it's necessary to observe both - frequency response and sinewave shape.

I've just tried to match 2SK117GR circuit with J201.
After some tweaking I managed to get from this:
1673729068484.png 1673729086211.png
to this:
1673729135167.png 1673729153559.png

Ok, so, being a sucker for a deal I went ahead and bought some of the generic J201's. I'm on a roll today, just bought everything I need to braze aluminum. ANYWAY on the email they had the address, which made me feel pretty good, because "Unit 1" :). Granted I'm retiredunit1 now, but I was Unit1 for 30 years!!!!

1673739305600.png

I just looked at the fairchild j201's on smallbear and at the bottom of the page these were listed "Generic J201" for only $0.63 each, no quantity discount.....

Here’s the link I used. Not the same you shared. The link you shared doesn’t say Fairchild. It says generic.
Edit*my bad I think I misread what you were saying.

J201

Genuine old-stock found in our sop, while they last.

Last edited:
Here’s the link I used. Not the same you shared. The link you shared doesn’t say Fairchild. It says generic.
Edit*my bad I think I misread what you were saying.

J201

Genuine old-stock found in our sop, while they last.
Yeah, I wasn't very clear but I was playing guitar until 2am on Friday night, then got up at 6. *{[{Ugh}]}*

What I meant was the section at the bottom where it says stuff like "you may also be interested in these" there was an alternative to the Fairchild brand that was just listed as Generic. The price was right so I bought some. I'm really hoping they don't test as something else, the price is so good.....

As @giovanni say who makes generic? Perhaps it was ACME, the coyote and roadrunner may be involved!

ef8fdc6be194085dce7ccef437216bc1--road-runner-classic-cartoons.jpg

Yeah, I wasn't very clear but I was playing guitar until 2am on Friday night, then got up at 6. *{[{Ugh}]}*

What I meant was the section at the bottom where it says stuff like "you may also be interested in these" there was an alternative to the Fairchild brand that was just listed as Generic. The price was right so I bought some. I really hoping they don't test as something else, the price is so good.....

As @giovanni say who makes generic? Perhaps it was ACME, the coyote and roadrunner may be involved!

ef8fdc6be194085dce7ccef437216bc1--road-runner-classic-cartoons.jpg
Right. After re-reading your post I realized what you were saying. Thus the edit on my post. I really want to order more of the fairchilds. But don’t really know if I will use them. Curious to hear your feedback on the John Eric’s…. Sometimes the cheap stuff is just as good and sometimes…..

All China Makes Electronics... :)
My dad was Master Sargent of the motor pool company A under Patton in WWII, he said everyone then used to call it American Companies Make Everything. But I guess it was invented by Warner bros for the cartoon.....

Let's just hope those J201's aren't like these...!
Box_of_%22ACME_EXPLOSIVE_TENNIS_BALLS%22_%28screencap%29.jpg

You can’t use that tester for JFET. Or rather, it won’t give you the quantities you need. Check out Chuck’s post on JFETs and the ROG method.
I decided I should probably update my understanding of transistors, which I originally learned about in Digital logic circuits 101 at Pierce College in 1975. We used boards full of flip-flops and 'and,or,nand,nor gates' to build square-rooters, etc. There were blinking lights, etc. 1975-ish style..

I found this video helped me to understand WTF was going on, since my education really involved transistors as switches, not transconductors. A word I just learned, lol.

Back