King of Tone not King of Tone-ing

shake__appral

Second go at the Paragon (King of Tone build)… the first build I had some issues with the trimmers and things got messy desoldering. So… second time around, it’s passing signal and LED turns on, but no sound when pedal is engaged. Anyone see anything obvious of where I’m fucking up here?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    530.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    542.9 KB · Views: 69
Jack wiring is correct I believe, and since the bypass is fine presumably that would mean it’s correct? I’ll send pictures later. There are no markings for positive/ground for the input/output jacks, so that was a little confusing. Anyway this one is really starting to piss me off, how likely is it that I got a bad box of electro capacitors (Amazon)? Or I suppose the GE diodes would be a more likely suspect. Hell maybe even the trimmers. I swear any build that requires a trim pot never ends up working for me. Any way to bypass these?

Might have to try a different pcb brand on this one, I dunno. The KoT isn’t even enough gain for me, I was just building it to conquer an Analogman and was hoping to get it to a buddy of mine so he wasn’t waiting 6 years.

The wire connections on your footswitch board look like they should be reflowed too.
Yeah now that I’m looking at the pictures, the soldering definitely looks a little janky. I had the 9-pin in there but decided to pull it out and wire it up really quick, just trying to eliminate all the parts that I haven’t used on successful builds before. I’m worried about the trim pots too and if I’ll have to replace those. They’re built so shitty, I swear they’re the bane of my building existence. Had trimmers on my ModelFet build and… I just hate those little mf’s.

Yeah now that I’m looking at the pictures, the soldering definitely looks a little janky. I had the 9-pin in there but decided to pull it out and wire it up really quick, just trying to eliminate all the parts that I haven’t used on successful builds before. I’m worried about the trim pots too and if I’ll have to replace those. They’re built so shitty, I swear they’re the bane of my building existence. Had trimmers on my ModelFet build and… I just hate those little mf’s.
They look a little worse for wear!, Some of Members here use Blu Tack to hold Components & them Trimmers in place til they get some Solder on em!!

Yeah they might not be, the right one is from Amazon (super shitty legs that break off pretty easy). Idk I just always have trouble with trimmers. I bought a bunch of the other white and blue ones in 50k, which are a bit sturdier and easy to use for biasing, just can’t find where I put those damn things… I’ve got an extremely disorganized “workshop” right now (a.k.a. the top of a Mosrite case on my living room floor). Could I get away with swapping these for 25k or 100k if need be?

At least I got the Mosrite wired up and sounding like a freakin’ Stooges record! (Well not quite a Mos, it’s a ‘68 Japanese lawsuit replica). Gonna have to sell it unfortunately to fund a few other projects, so I’m jamming on it as much as I can before that happens. Those Mosrite “speed frets” are quite interesting/badass for rhythm playing, and also I’m not sure why every guitar doesn’t come with a “zero fret.”

They look a little worse for wear!, Some of Members here use Blu Tack to hold Components & them Trimmers in place til they get some Solder on em!
They look a little worse for wear!, Some of Members here use Blu Tack to hold Components & them Trimmers in place til they get some Solder on em!!
The trimmers or the wiring? Or both? I’ll definitely be looking into that, what exactly is Blu Tack?

Both the Picture above & BOM show C10 opposite to what you have, BUT!!!

Back