Kliché Mini Noob Issues

Gsatterw

Hey guys - 2nd pedal build here and having a pretty bizarre issue - getting no difference with pedal 'on' vs 'off' - both are just my completely dry signal. LED works with switch. Checked continuity on the footswitch and that checks out. All 3 knobs do nothing with the LED on, or off. No change in volume, gain or tone. I've checked voltages at all 3 IC's and they are comparable within 0.3v of what others have posted. I did have all 3 installed backwards initially. Also had the LED backwards initially. My solders are certainly amateur. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. Many thanks in advance!

Ok new info: turns out when I crank the volume on my amp I do have signal on IC2 pins 2 and 6. Also, when I short pins 2 and 3 on the volume pot I actually get more volume out of the pedal. With the volume pot shorted, if I short Gain.1 (not sure which direction) I actually get distortion out of the pedal...so I guess my pots are bad? Is it possible that I melted them or something on install?
If you use your audio probe on pin 1 of IC2 do you get the same amount of volume?

You might be right. Why is there solder on the legs of the pots on the underside where they emerge from the pot? That's not normal.
I had initially soldered wires to each leg on all pots. I was thrown off by all of the extra wires in the kit. When I realized they were supposed to mount to the pcb I desoldered the wires. I've heard of people putting pots through hell and having them be fine. I am pretty careful to not use excess heat/time when I solder anything so I'll be surprised if that is what damaged them.

I'm getting some pretty wacky resistances when I try and measure the pots, so I guess I'll pull them off and measure them off the board.

Ok then it is possible that the volume pot is busted. But it’s also possible that the op amp is not providing enough volume. Is it much much louder than bypass?
Yea it's a good bit louder than bypass. Not like searingly louder, but noticeably so. My gain pot(s) are also busted, apparently, so that impacts the volume also.

Yea it's a good bit louder than bypass. Not like searingly louder, but noticeably so. My gain pot(s) are also busted, apparently, so that impacts the volume also.
Yeah. At this point it’s a bit tricky to tell what’s going on if you have multiple malfunctioning components :(

So I painstakingly desoldered the volume pot with wick (misplaced sucker, new one on order) and measured the resistance. I was getting OL at the pins, and up closer to the pot where the little holes are if I pushed down really hard I could get the correct resistances. I used some 91% rubbing alcohol and cleaned the leads really well and was then able to read to correct resistances at the pins. Resoldered and now my volume works. Gain and treble pots are still busted. Gonna wait on the solder sucker for those. Guess I could try reflowing them first.

Alright. Reflowed/added solder to the other two pots. All seems to work now. Sorry for taking up so much thread on "I suck at soldering pots".

Slight side issue: when I unplug my guitar with the pedal on, I get a sustained squeal from the amp...anyone have any thoughts on that?

It's kind of cool actually- I can make it change pitch by turning the gain and treble pots up. Goes away completely if I turn the gain and treble down a bit. Anyone able to reproduce this?

Back