L5 Preamp Build

Raspymcnasty

So I’ve finally boxed up this build and cannot be happier.

It really wasn’t that tough. The only thing that was concerning was the lack of a ground to the output, but i guess its fine.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a power adapter for this? I used my friends ac adaptor but it’s only .6ma so i dont think it’s enough power.

fIXOGP6.jpg

97TRurn.jpg

Last edited:
I can't bring myself to build one of these. It looks to be a super awesome pedal. I did build a standard IVP pedal (the distortion part of this pedal with simplified EQ). Very original sound for sure.

Love this @Raspymcnasty - I used a standard 9vAC power supply from Amazon but I think that is causing some issue with the compressor part of the circuit. @Gordo recommended using a 12vAC power supply from Yamaha but I haven’t got round to picking one up yet.

@MichaelW - I use mine as the last pedal in my chain, sort of like a preamp. My amp is pretty dark sounding and the first channel gives it a bit more of a fender like clean tone. I plan on building a power amp to pair it with.

Im building a board for specifically recording into my interface. So that board is set up like this
Benson pre>L5 pre>Unicab>Switcher into headphone amp (looking for options at the moment) and the other switch to my recording interface
What interface are you using? I have the UAD Apollo Twin X, it's pretty expensive but worth every penny with the DSP Unison preamps. I use them pretty much every time I record anything. Having said that, it would be really cool to have a full DIY signal chain into my DAW. I either need to build an amp:) or something like what you built. Fascinating stuff!

welp. My AC power came in, and im getting no sound while engaged, but im getting bypass. UGHHHH

Im going to be troubleshooting this behemoth when i get some free time.

Back