Last two builds of 2020 (Deflector Reverb and veroboard Lastgasp Laboratories Rattle Crow)

BPFuzz

2020 ended for me with some frustrating debugging still left to do. But the last two I boxed up with artwork finished were the Deflector Reverb, which is pretty nuts, especially compared to my Spirit Box. The Rattle Crow was my third veroboard build, as you can probably tell from the mess of wiring. Musically, it's about as useful as the Korg Hatsune Miku pedal, but maybe in the right hands and setting, it could make for an interesting noise based pedal.

Rattle Crow art is from the cartoon strip Maakies by Tony Millionaire about a perpetually drunk crow. And the deflector reverb is an MC Escher tesselation, an artist I've admired since I first saw an exhibit back in elementary school. Both were done with ferric chloride etching and then spray painted black/sanded to fill in the etch.

Attachments

• Rattlecrow.jpg
    Rattlecrow.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • rattlecrowspaghetti.jpg
    rattlecrowspaghetti.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • Deflector.jpg
    Deflector.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • Deflectorguts.jpg
    Deflectorguts.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
These are great!
Escher was a really good choice for the etch- that guy was a master of black/white and his tesselations are the best I've ever seen myself.
I hope you find use for your Rattle Crow- it looks really cool and I sourced parts to build one myself after hearing the demo', but I understand it may not fit into as many musical settings as the Deflector..

These are great!
Escher was a really good choice for the etch- that guy was a master of black/white and his tesselations are the best I've ever seen myself.
I hope you find use for your Rattle Crow- it looks really cool and I sourced parts to build one myself after hearing the demo', but I understand it may not fit into as many musical settings as the Deflector..
Yeah, I barely remember the first exhibit I saw of his back then, but was lucky enough when a museum in Tokyo held an exhibition of his lifes work. It was amazing.

I listen to a lot of noise bands, so I can definitely see the Rattle Crow being used in that sort of situation. It also doesn't have as obnoxiously high treble when I use my bass. Thoroughly confused a friend this weekend when I didn't tell him what it was and just had him play with it, haha.

Deflector is a great project. I tossed mine on my live board and find I'm using it a lot. I'm not a big reverb fan but it does some cool stuff with volume swells and atmospheric stuff.

Deflector is a great project. I tossed mine on my live board and find I'm using it a lot. I'm not a big reverb fan but it does some cool stuff with volume swells and atmospheric stuff.
Yeah, it's definitely an "atmosphere" type reverb. I plan on lending it out to a friend to use with his synths in exchange for some recordings of the results, lol.

It's the "lending" part that usually doesn't work for me. I kiss it goodbye and think about building another one :cool:

Back