Lead catching cutters!?!?!? Take my money

Stickman393

Just got me a pair of these.

Cutting resistor leads on the bottom of your board? Treat safety glasses poorly and thus don't use them because scratches occluding your vision?

You, like myself, may be a good candidate for spending 30ish bucks on a pair of exquisitely crafted cutters from Germany that really only excel at this task, and cutting zip ties.

Whatever. I just like tools and like sharing cool tools. IM0019412.jpg 7813125-01-3.jpg

Imma gonna resist posting a link to Amazon, chadstoolbox is a great independent shop.

These are the non-inox non-stainless tool steel version. Personally, I prefer this variety, but I admit I got an Amazon warehouse pair for like 22 bucks.

link 404s for me. does the lead catcher really work that well? i can't wrap my head around how it works

edit: nvm! I get it now. buying a pair instantly

Last edited:
It works best with one lead at a time, but yeah, it just pinches the lead at a diagonal from the cutting edge.

If you type in 78-91-125 it'll come right up. Knipex has a strange model naming convention: the first number denotes the design, second denotes feature set, third denotes length (typically in MM, but on their forged AWG model of wire strippers it's in inches)

It works best with one lead at a time, but yeah, it just pinches the lead at a diagonal from the cutting edge.

If you type in 78-91-125 it'll come right up. Knipex has a strange model naming convention: the first number denotes the design, second denotes feature set, third denotes length (typically in MM, but on their forged AWG model of wire strippers it's in inches)

I usually hold the lead I'm cutting with a finger while cutting it to avoid it flying across the room but I'll admit I'm too lazy to do it every time and this looks soooo much better than doing that

Lemmie tell you something: if this kind of stuff gets ya all hot and bothered like it does for me...

Well...have you ever heard of the Pliers Wrench?

It's an adjustable wrench with zero backlash...except, that's not exactly the right way to say it. No...it's an adjustable wrench that wraps a faster with POSITIVE gripping force while the user applies torque.

Here I am with mine.

IMG_20210802_013729__01.jpg

Friggin micro mark. One day I will own their lathe.

Or the one from LMS.

Oohh...that tapping station looks Neat-O.

Wire bending pliers, backordered. Nooooo! Take my money!!

I have the Xuron wire-formers.....sweet!
Now I am off to buy an O-Silly-Scope. Think Channels, bandwidth, resolution, accuracy, sample rate, capture rate, memory depth, triggering, input depth, connectivity, and oh heck...what's on sale today?

Guess I know what I’m asking for this Christmas now! I haven’t soldered in my bedroom in 6 years (i was able to take over an area of the boiler room in the basement a while back), and I still frequently find resistor leads on my floor somehow

My cutters are not great.
So I read this thread.
I didn’t realize a nice set of cutters cost $2,000. But they come with a lathe, an adjustable pliers, an oscilloscope, and some sort of weird hammer device. Seems like a pretty good bargain.

I have a friend who's uncle would misplace a tool, and just go buy another two (one as backup).

The house was chockablock with tools in every nook-and-cranny. My friend and I were visiting and we made numerous trips with Uncle to specialty tool shops, mostly for electronics but also mechanical, plumbing and others I have no ken nor memory of.

When the uncle passed, I helped clear out stuff from the house, the garage and a full-size sea-can in the back yard. I was given a few cool tools for my efforts. Uncle was a freq'n genius who helped build the particle-accelerator around Stanford, and that sort of thing. I still have some of those tools, still trying to figure out how to use some of them.

Back