Legit Fender amp pedal

I've got one as well... I bought it "broken" for $600... Turns out the Reverb tube was bad and it was making a continuous raspy reverb splash/ gurgle in the background... A Quick swap and away I went.
I swapped the TypeV speaker (or whatever it's called) for a Celestion G12-65 Heritage, which really gave the amp a cooler, less brittle sound... I have a decent collection of old Fenders myself, but every one of them had original caps spewing their guts and some had original RCA tubes.
I put a Jensen P12N in mine, very chimey tones like from a xylophone..... tubular sounding..... I got mine for a LOT less a *l*o*n*g* long time ago in mint condition. I've been playing since 67, a year before it came out! Martin D28's were about $185, strats were $150

I put a Jensen P12N in mine, very chimey tones like from a xylophone..... tubular sounding..... I got mine for a LOT less a *l*o*n*g* long time ago in mint condition. I've been playing since 67, a year before it came out! Martin D28's were about $185, strats were $150
Oh, mine is the new custom deluxe reissue, not a vintage one... but all the other amps in my collection are. a 1966 Super Reverb, a 1969 Bandmaster Reverb, a 75 Vibrochamp, a 75 Super Reverb, a 76 Twin Reverb and a 78 Bandmaster Reverb

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230430_025522_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230430_025522_Gallery.jpg
    706.3 KB · Views: 7
Oh, mine is the new custom deluxe reissue, not a vintage one... but all the other amps in my collection are. a 1966 Super Reverb, a 1969 Bandmaster Reverb, a 75 Vibrochamp, a 75 Super Reverb, a 76 Twin Reverb and a 78 Bandmaster Reverb
I only have the two old amps, had a couple stolen back in the 70's. Most of my amps I've made... but I use vintage components when possible! My vintage capacitor collection weighs about 15 pounds :cool:

I only have the two old amps, had a couple stolen back in the 70's. Most of my amps I've made... but I use vintage components when possible! My vintage capacitor collection weighs about 15 pounds :cool:
Yeah, I'm kinda new to the vintage amp party. I gigged and recorded with a Marshall JCM2000 TSL and blonde tolex Fender Blues Deville 4x10 for many years and never really needed anything else... plus money was always kinda tight to be spending on extra gear... Most of my extra walking money went to a better pedalboard in a road case, and just keeping my gear in top condition to play...

I was just hit by inspiration...
What if you could combine a preamp style pedal (Peace Hill JM or Crystal Lettuce b.f) with a Danelectro Spring king and optic tremolo...
You could have a legitimate Fender Reverb amp in a box...
Why not a replica of the Space Man's reverb (DeadEndFX Hooke) or the Moody Sounds dealio...?

TremOptolo
Rullywow's LunarBlast or any of the other Tremulus Lune/ Shoot The Moon variants ...

...but what if @vigilante398 came out with something like this:
or

As for the Fender preamp... many to choose from, I suppose...

...but what if @vigilante398 came out with something like this:
or
I have a schematic drawn up that's been sitting for a while that's a simple Fender preamp with tube tremolo. Could probably fit it into a 1590BB with my usual SMD setup, not sure about through-hole though.

It looks like the coupon to get that amp at $190 is expired now, but it still is a great deal on a very reasonable amp. I have one under my bench right now waiting for me to find a use for it, as well as one of their 5W combos in my daughter's room to be "her amp".

My current amp project involves forcing a Soldano SLO preamp (both channels, footswitchable) onto a 15W power amp and doing it all as cheaply as possible. About 90% of the components on the board can be sourced from Tayda and the others aren't hard to find or expensive. Transformers will always be expensive, but I got a set (PT+OT+choke) from Musical Power Supplies for under $200. By the time I get the cabinet and speaker the full amp will probably come out to more than double the price of the Monoprice, but it should be a much better amp and still targeting a cost of around $500, which is still a bargain for a (humbly) well-designed and well-built 1x12 combo.
Mind sharing your schematic? I want to build something like that in a Princeton chassis.

Mind sharing your schematic? I want to build something like that in a Princeton chassis.
It's kind of a lot. I would have no interest in doing something like this on turret/eyelet board, but the PCB build went well. It's basically a Soldano SLO preamp and a Matchless Lightning Power amp (with a half/full power switch) so you could reference either of those, both are easily found online.

slo15.jpg

I think I should elaborate a bit more... I like playing with tube amps... Sometimes they break. If yours fries live during a set, how do you finish? Sometimes a buddy wants me to track something at his home studio really quick, but taking all my gear over is a pain, and I hate using Emulators/modeling tech... So a little box like this would be quite handy, especially given how the Peace Hill is a legitimate tube-powered preamp.... See what I mean? Not a total replacement, but a handy backup amp
I've played hundreds of gigs with tube amps and the only time I had a problem was after my Bassman RI fell of a trolley and a fuse socket broke off a PCB. That is one of the sorts of problems Fender RI amps can have! So I used my spare amp for that gig. But since I built my own I have had zero reliability issues at gigs. SS amps can be unreliable too! Build it properly and you should have very few problems. The main issues with tube amps are from tubes. Still, you can often hear a problem develop during rehearsal/practise and sort it before it gets bad.

I've played hundreds of gigs with tube amps and the only time I had a problem was after my Bassman RI fell of a trolley and a fuse socket broke off a PCB. That is one of the sorts of problems Fender RI amps can have! So I used my spare amp for that gig. But since I built my own I have had zero reliability issues at gigs. SS amps can be unreliable too! Build it properly and you should have very few problems. The main issues with tube amps are from tubes. Still, you can often hear a problem develop during rehearsal/practise and sort it before it gets bad.
Once we had a gig at a Baseball field at the entrance... They put us on one outlet at the end of the bathrooms and concession stands in the middle of August... Dozens of hand dryers going, A refrigerator or something kicked on... SOMETHING caused a huge power spike... the volume on all the gear started going WAY down... all of a sudden our p.a quit working. My Marshall bubbled the plastic heat vents on the top of the head... It actually melted the wires inside one of our powered monitors and it was so hot we needed a towel to move it. Fortunately rain blew in and we stopped the gig right after. That Marshall never sounded as good afterwards despite multiple trips to the shop a re-tube, bias set, components tested, etc.

Last edited:
I played an outdoor gig at a festival once. They assured us that we had mains power but after I blew the transformer in my tube overdrive pedal (Matchless Hotbox) I discovered the entire gig was being powered by a diesel generator. I was not happy! I was using a Super Reverb RI back then and it escaped ok.

I played an outdoor gig at a festival once. They assured us that we had mains power but after I blew the transformer in my tube overdrive pedal (Matchless Hotbox) I discovered the entire gig was being powered by a diesel generator. I was not happy! I was using a Super Reverb RI back then and it escaped ok.
I was super bummed. I gigged that Marshall for 15 years and recorded 5 albums with it... and one stupid gig did it in. Granted, it still sounds pretty good... but something DEFINITELY changed in it. It used to be very crisp, very articulate with tons of sharp midrange bite and focused gain... now it sounds rolled off... like it's anemic... I've never had it recapped, so I wonder if it may have pushed the power caps out of spec... Then again, the transformer audibly hums a bit and it was always quiet before... I wonder if the heat may have weakend the solder joint on a ground or something

It looks like the coupon to get that amp at $190 is expired now, but it still is a great deal on a very reasonable amp. I have one under my bench right now waiting for me to find a use for it, as well as one of their 5W combos in my daughter's room to be "her amp".

My current amp project involves forcing a Soldano SLO preamp (both channels, footswitchable) onto a 15W power amp and doing it all as cheaply as possible. About 90% of the components on the board can be sourced from Tayda and the others aren't hard to find or expensive. Transformers will always be expensive, but I got a set (PT+OT+choke) from Musical Power Supplies for under $200. By the time I get the cabinet and speaker the full amp will probably come out to more than double the price of the Monoprice, but it should be a much better amp and still targeting a cost of around $500, which is still a bargain for a (humbly) well-designed and well-built 1x12 combo.
$50 off coupon now works, if anyone is interested

I was super bummed. I gigged that Marshall for 15 years and recorded 5 albums with it... and one stupid gig did it in. Granted, it still sounds pretty good... but something DEFINITELY changed in it. It used to be very crisp, very articulate with tons of sharp midrange bite and focused gain... now it sounds rolled off... like it's anemic... I've never had it recapped, so I wonder if it may have pushed the power caps out of spec... Then again, the transformer audibly hums a bit and it was always quiet before... I wonder if the heat may have weakend the solder joint on a ground or something
That is a bummer. I was able to buy a repacement PT from Mercury Magnetics and got my HotBox pedal up and running again. The transformer sure did smell though! Apparently transformers are known to smell bad when they blow - now I know.

From how you describe it it's difficult to know what might have happened, but you may be right about the filter caps. Filter caps in a Marshall (or most amps) are rated for voltages not much higher than the amps can operate on so it's entirely possible that your filter caps are affected. If the noise levels are higher now that's a sign of tired filters too - as long as it's a 60 cycle hum I guess. And signs of deformation on the caps? It's not a difficult job to replace the filter caps and it sounds like doing so might bring your amp back. A bunch of F+T electrolytics could be in order.

I once recapped an old Super Reverb and along with replacing a few old B+ dropping resistors it sounded like a new amp - it was at least double the volume afterwards! The guy who the amp belonged to couldn't believe how much better his amps sounded - he was going to sell it.

Hotbox would be another one that could be a cool DIY project. I had one of those on my board for a while before I became obsessed with the Soldano.

The Badcat Two tone is almost identical but sounds better. I think it's probably because of a larger transformer. They really do sound good. I have thought of building my own and can get the Matchless style transformer from Mercury Magnetics but I don't know where to get a Badcat style trannie. The Badcat is also physically larger which helps keep the noise levels down.

The Badcat Two tone is almost identical but sounds better. I think it's probably because of a larger transformer. They really do sound good. I have thought of building my own and can get the Matchless style transformer from Mercury Magnetics but I don't know where to get a Badcat style trannie. The Badcat is also physically larger which helps keep the noise levels down.
I always built my Hotbox clones with DC heaters and an SMPS (you know, like everything else I build) and it helps keep the noise (and the cost!) down as well.

Back