Little Debbie switched caps

chrisqrubio

So C10 and C16 are switched on my board when compared to the docs, a 10nf and a 220nf. Not sure if it's a typo or what?

IMG_20201206_144258_2.jpg

It's probably a dumb question, but should I go by the doc or the board.
Sorry if this question had been answered, but i couldn't find any data on it.

Upon examining the schematic, it makes more sense to use the 10nF on C10 and the 220nF on C16. So I'd go with the BOM, as the PDF build docs are easier to update than a screen print error on the PCB. I've also read in these forums that the build docs BOM are the final word.

Follow your PCB, the capacitors have changed locations.

The values on your board are correct. C10 is still 10nF, C16 is still 220nF, they just swapped positions on the board to give more room for larger 220nF film caps.

You should generally follow the PCB if it doesn't match the build docs. PCBs get new revisions and minor changes over time, a single build doc can't always reflect that. The printing on the PCB will be correct for the point in time that board was fabricated.

If a value is KNOWN to be incorrect the boards will usually be trashed and reordered, but in some cases if it's just a single value it will be marked out on the PCB and highlighted in the build doc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Follow your PCB, the capacitors have changed locations.

The values on your board are correct. C10 is still 10nF, C16 is still 220nF, they just swapped positions on the board to give more room for larger 220nF film caps.

You should generally follow the PCB if it doesn't match the build docs. PCBs get new revisions and minor changes over time, a single build doc can't always reflect that. The printing on the PCB will be correct for the point in time that board was fabricated.

If a value is KNOWN to be incorrect the boards will usually be trashed and reordered, but in some cases if it's just a single value it will be marked out on the PCB and highlighted in the build doc.
Thanks for the clarification on the order of part value priority.

Back