Little Monk 5F184+

Sounds pretty good. I was looking at the schematic and it only has the one el84 power tube. That's crazy. I thought you had to have a pair. I need to learn more about amps

Valve Junior schematic.jpeg

One little friendly nitpick - you might want to make a little more room for those 5W resistors, and don't solder them flat to the PCB. They can get really hot and burn the board over time. It's often recommended to mount them a centimetre or so above the PCB to allow air flow around them.

I saw this on Mr Psionic Audio's videos on YT. It's amazing how much those resistors can discolour the PCB.

Apart from that - great work!

This is awesome dude. The logical progression to move into power amps after mastering the pre amp stuff. Sounds great.

Reactions: fig
One little friendly nitpick - you might want to make a little more room for those 5W resistors, and don't solder them flat to the PCB. They can get really hot and burn the board over time. It's often recommended to mount them a centimetre or so above the PCB to allow air flow around them.

I saw this on Mr Psionic Audio's videos on YT. It's amazing how much those resistors can discolour the PCB.

Apart from that - great work!

I wonder if it would be a good idea to put a rectangular pad connected to the ground plan below the 5W resistors and apply some thermal paste when mounting.

I don't know what thermal paste is but it can't hurt to over-do these things. Amps can get really hot and not just because of the filaments. I hope you didn't take what I said as criticism - it was definitely meant as a friendly heads-up! I'd love to hear the amp.

I don't know what thermal paste is but it can't hurt to over-do these things. Amps can get really hot and not just because of the filaments. I hope you didn't take what I said as criticism - it was definitely meant as a friendly heads-up! I'd love to hear the amp.

Quite the opposite. I took it for exactly what it was: Great advice from someone with amp building experience!

Fantastic work sir! Great tip on the dim bulb! A snuffer stick (aka thing-doer) is useful as well.

Did you mention what speaker your driving?

Fantastic work sir! Great tip on the dim bulb! A snuffer stick (aka thing-doer) is useful as well.

Did you mention what speaker your driving?

I’ve been using a Celestion G10N-40 for a number of years.

It’s a great speaker that handles dirt very well.

Back