LM13700 SUB?

djmiyta

Reading through a couple of blogs and read someone built a DOD FX-25 using NE5517 in place of lm13600/lm13700 he said he had no issues! This was just last year. Anyone heard of this chip and it's usefullness? Or actually used one in a build ? A quick look says "
The NE5517 contains two current-controlled transconductance
amplifiers, each with a differential input and push-pull output. The
NE5517 offers significant design and performance advantages over
similar devices for all types of programmable gain applications.
Circuit performance is enhanced through the use of linearizing diodes
at the inputs which enable a 10 dB signal-to-noise improvement

Constant impedance of the buffers on the chip allow general use of
the NE5517. These buffers are made of Darlington transistors and a
biasing network that virtually eliminate the change of offset voltage
due to a burst in the bias current Iabc

, hence eliminating the audible
noise that could otherwise be
heard in high quality audio applications.

The part where it says "virtually eliminate the change of offset voltage due to a burst in the bias current HENCE! eliminating the audible noise that could otherwise be heard in high quality audio apps. Is this noise ,the tick ,we can hear in some builds they are refering to ?

Is this an actual lm13700 equivalent or substitute? That could be cool if so seeing as the lm13700 are getting more expensive and harder to find in through hole. And if it's true and it's quiet BONUS! No?

I briefly looked at the two data sheets and the schematics look pretty much identical to me. I haven’t gone through the specs though, so there may be some subtle differences. It’s probably worth experimenting with the 5517.

Whut the MUCK were you doing snooping around in a subway WC? Wait...

1ez.gif

...Nevermind, I don't want to know why you pall to fieces.

I live in Brooklyn and the subway is where I get all my mojo parts. Germanium transistors and diodes, MN3007 chips and all that… I know a rat. I mean a guy.

Back