Mach 1 and Mach number 2

MightySmallElectrons

FC884005-3239-4B06-A6A9-9D438CD84590.jpeg
As an experiment I’ve built two of these...the first was with cheap Amazon.com resistors and capacitors; the second with Takman audio resistors and Nichicon Fine Gold audio capacitors.
Also acquired the Burr Brown for the uptown build and used Neotech copper hookup wire.
I was hoping that I wouldn’t hear much difference but I have to say that the expensive build has a little more sparkle and clarity.

Last edited:
Looks like the one on the left is practicing Safe mode with the added protection on the Pots!
The one on right doesn't give a Damn if the Led is In or Out so It might have to much Sparkle!

HeHe!, Cool Builds just the same!

Looks like the one on the left is practicing Safe mode with the added protection on the Pots!
The one on right doesn't give a Damn if the Led is In or Out so It might have to much Sparkle!

HeHe!, Cool Builds just the same!
Yeah..to be honest the light isn’t yet functioning on that one. Second build in a row where the LED needed help.
I like that better than my earlier builds where the LED came on but no sound. I know the difference between the anode and cathode so I’m not sure what I’m mucking up there?

OPA2134 comparison, Report Findings Now!!!?
Alright...I opened up the “ghetto” Mach 1 and played it for awhile to acclimate myself to the tone.
Listening closely to the top end response because that’s where I was hearing the difference in my initial comparison.
Thinking this is not the best way to test this but I’m not really out to change hearts and minds so,

I pulled out the OPA2134 and...

It was a Burr-Brown also:p

thanks! I'm going to try and build the "uptown" version. Does it matter the voltage rating for the Nichicon 22uF caps? I noticed they are bigger than the other build version.

thanks! I'm going to try and build the "uptown" version. Does it matter the voltage rating for the Nichicon 22uF caps? I noticed they are bigger than the other build version.
Not especially. I just found a great deal on those Nichicon caps, they’re almost too big really. Would have preferred to have 25 watts but I think I got these for 6 cents or something silly like that.
Some builds with charge pumps might require a higher rating but 16 is fine and 25 is high enough to cover all circumstances that I’m familiar with.

Awesome, thanks! My brain is hurting trying to rundown all the components and trying to decipher which ones are high quality.

Pedal building is supposed to be be fun, so don't give yourself a brain aneurysm trying to select "the best" parts. There's the concept in engineering of a thing being "good enough." Those red 0.1% resistors are pretty, but they're not going to sound any different from the 1% metal film resistors you can buy at Tayda for a penny apiece. What matters is that your pedal actually works and you like the way it sounds. And the graphics. It has to have cool graphics and a catchy name. And pretty knobs. Don't skimp on the knobs.

My $0.02 ±5%.

Pedal building is supposed to be be fun, so don't give yourself a brain aneurysm trying to select "the best" parts. There's the concept in engineering of a thing being "good enough." Those red 0.1% resistors are pretty, but they're not going to sound any different from the 1% metal film resistors you can buy at Tayda for a penny apiece. What matters is that your pedal actually works and you like the way it sounds. And the graphics. It has to have cool graphics and a catchy name. And pretty knobs. Don't skimp on the knobs.

My $0.02 ±5%.
Thanks Chuck. I appreciate the info. I definitely agree about the knobs. Most folks use metal film instead of carbon film I guess?

Back