Madbeans Archibald Tube Driver

jeffwhitfield

Ok, so...I have a handful of 12AX7 tubes I got so I could try out different ones in the Maxon RTD800 tube drive pedal I got. None of them worked as well as the default EHX 12AX7 so I held onto them for a later day. Figured that one day I could put together a BK Butler clone and try out different tubes. Well...lo and behold, Madbeans made my wish come true. Hoped on it and got an Archibald to play with! :D

IMG_0183.jpeg

The build went pretty smooth. Although I did managed to screw up the orientation of the PCB board for the tube. Got it upside down so I had to completely destroy the angled header to get it off without damaging the PCB. Had to order some more headers so a bit of a wait on that. Once I got the new headers, the rest went pretty smooth. Everything fired up and appeared to be working just fine.

IMG_0184.jpeg

Once I got the components installed and calibrated the voltage, I popped in one of the three tubes I got: EHX 7025, Sovtek 12AX7LPS, JJ ECC83JJ. I started with the Sovtek since I knew that one worked pretty well in the Maxon. At first, it just spurted out things in a rather gated fashion. Tried out the other tubes with no luck. Turned out to be the fact that the optional buffer needed to be on. Seems this circuit is a bit finicky about the impedance. Buffer helps with that. With the buffer on, everything worked just fine.

IMG_0173.jpeg

Out of the three tubes, the JJ seemed to work the best. It provided the best range of gain without it sounding too shrill. The Sovtek worked well but the upper part of the gain just seemed a bit much and too crunchy. The EHX 7025 didn't work at all. It just sputtered out no matter what I did. I also pulled out the standard EHX 12AX7 from my Maxon and that one worked pretty damn well. In fact, I ordered another one for the Archibald. Figure it'll be between it and the JJ. I have a feeling that the EHX will win out though. Seems it's the most balanced of all the tubes.

Design-wise, I kept it super simple and mimicked the original BK Butler a bit. Question is: How does it compare to my Maxon pedal? Will find out soon enough. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Very cool! Does this pedal run at high voltage internally or is it a starvation based distortion?

Nice job! Just curious where did you source the heat sink?
Digikey. Two different parts: the heatsink itself and the thermal pad kit:

Ok, so...I have a handful of 12AX7 tubes I got so I could try out different ones in the Maxon RTD800 tube drive pedal I got. None of them worked as well as the default EHX 12AX7 so I held onto them for a later day. Figured that one day I could put together a BK Butler clone and try out different tubes. Well...lo and behold, Madbeans made my wish come true. Hoped on it and got an Archibald to play with! :D

View attachment 23495

The build went pretty smooth. Although I did managed to screw up the orientation of the PCB board for the tube. Got it upside down so I had to completely destroy the angled header to get it off without damaging the PCB. Had to order some more headers so a bit of a wait on that. Once I got the new headers, the rest went pretty smooth. Everything fired up and appeared to be working just fine.

View attachment 23496

Once I got the components installed and calibrated the voltage, I popped in one of the three tubes I got: EHX 7025, Sovtek 12AX7LPS, JJ ECC83JJ. I started with the Sovtek since I knew that one worked pretty well in the Maxon. At first, it just spurted out things in a rather gated fashion. Tried out the other tubes with no luck. Turned out to be the fact that the optional buffer needed to be on. Seems this circuit is a bit finicky about the impedance. Buffer helps with that. With the buffer on, everything worked just fine.

View attachment 23493

Out of the three tubes, the JJ seemed to work the best. It provided the best range of gain without it sounding too shrill. The Sovtek worked well but the upper part of the gain just seemed a bit much and too crunchy. The EHX 7025 didn't work at all. It just sputtered out no matter what I did. I also pulled out the standard EHX 12AX7 from my Maxon and that one worked pretty damn well. In fact, I ordered another one for the Archibald. Figure it'll be between it and the JJ. I have a feeling that the EHX will win out though. Seems it's the most balanced of all the tubes.

Design-wise, I kept it super simple and mimicked the original BK Butler a bit. Question is: How does it compare to my Maxon pedal? Will find out soon enough. :D

Looks Great
Lots of little Holes, Is that for future mods! ;)

It can run at either 9v or 12v. I’ve only tried 9v but will hook it up for a 12v test tomorrow.
I meant voltage on the tube plate. I looked at the schematic and it looks like it runs at low voltage (9-12V) rather than getting it up to hundreds of volts.

Nice job! I need to experiment with that circuit...

BTW, it's not surprising that various brands of 12AX7 would work differently. This circuit runs the tube so far outside the region where they are spec'ed and tested, there's no way to predict which ones will work well. You just have to audition them. There are some biasing mods that might help.

Back