Magnetron Delay (Keeley Magnetic Echo)

MichaelW

3rd and final build report for the weekend.

Really speeds things up when I dedicate the time to pre-drill a couple of builds and have the pots/switches installed.

Makes it a lot easier to pop out to the workshop, solder a few components then retreat into the AC to cool off.....my garage workshop is brutal in the Florida summers...!

I decided to built this pedal to go with the Gravitation Reverb for my amp set up. On paper it sounds like it's similar to the Dark Rift in that it's a tape delay emulator with some modulation on the repeats. But they sound pretty different. Also the Dark Rift has a control for "tape age" on the repeats which the Magnetron doesn't have. The Dark Rift modulation can also get a lot whackier than the Magnetron if that's important. It's not a concern for me since I tend to use delay sparingly and the modulation even more sparingly. But if you're into the ambient stuff, the Dark Rift will give you a lot more to work with.

Still it's a great sounding pedal, getting the internal gain trimmer set correctly is key. It "can" sound a bit dirty with too much gain, and sound kinda weak with not enough gain.

I ran out of 1uf electrolytic caps so substituted with tantalums that I ordered just to have some on hand. Glad I did! I think it was a "General Questions" thread I posted a couple months ago about substitution for tantalums in the BOM where a lot of responses was opining on the efficacy of tantalums. I didn't get a real clear consensus but I figured since I didn't have any I'd better just throw some in the cart on my next order:)

I decided to use two colors of knobs so I could remember which knobs control the modulation. Really digging the combination of the Magnetron running into the Gravitation Reverb.

Probably the last digital delay I'll be building (for myself anyway). I have 3 DIY delays now (Dark Rift, Hydra and Magnetron). The next delay I build will be a BBD delay.
I have the MBP Tourbus (DMM) that I'm starting to collect the parts for. But it might be "delayed" for a bit (heh see what I did there?) since I spent all my pedal money on my Tele build......and....I just bought another guitar......(future NGD post:))

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3203.JPG

Edit: Oops, got my pedals mixed up, it's the Hydra that has the knob for Tape Age, not the Dark Rift.

Last edited:
Another nice one! This and the reverb really do sound great together don’t they?

Also I like how you are routing wires and might have to steal that. Looks very neat with the wire tucked back into the top of the enclosure and looping back.

Another nice one! This and the reverb really do sound great together don’t they?

Also I like how you are routing wires and might have to steal that. Looks very neat with the wire tucked back into the top of the enclosure and looping back.
I stole that from someone else here:) I like that it gives me a little bit of slack if I need to pull the board for some reason.

Nice hat trick of builds. This has been by far my favorite delay build, sound wise. A very close second place would be the evil owl by effects layouts. But the magnetron wins with that yummy modulation. It’s been on and never left my board since built. I love it.
You are right about the delay reverb combo as well. Can get lost for hours jamming on that. Cheers.

Back