Micro Addition - Dirty Trimmit?

PangeaDestructor

I have the micro addition boost, really nice clean boost but I'm wondering if there's a way to make it grit up a little more without pissing off my neighbors too much. I've got a spare Trimmit board around somewhere, is there a spot I could drop that in to make it dirtier?

I'm looking at the Electrosmash breakdown and diystompboxes, and seeing a suggestion to add an spdt with clipping diodes and increase the 56k feedback resistor as a possible option, although it looks like that might require pulling out at least one cap as well - hoping to limit how much I'm digging around in there and potentially frying things or tearing off pads. Cheers!

Without digging out my board, just looking at the PPCB-shop's layout that shows R1, R2, R3, etc, I don't know for certain which resistor is the 56k feedback path, but I'll guess it's R5.

MicroAddition.png

I'd suggest to add clipping diodes to ground, controlled by the Trimmit (or better yet, IMO, squeeze in a 9mm pot into the face of the pedal between the Bass & Treble pots) ala AMZ's warp control. Trimmit would be to set & forget amount of grit.

Depending on the flavour of clipping you're after, you could add the clipping diodes to the feedback loop (soft-clipping) or ala the Dist+ and clip to ground.

You could stick the whole Warp on a SPDT switch, but turning the Warp to minimum you effectively take it out of the circuit anyway so unless you're making that switch a DPDT-Footswitch with LED, I don't see the point of a toggle.

I'm not sure why you think you would "require pulling out at least one cap as well"; I suppose it depends on the mod you are trying to accomplish. The Warp Control is something you can tack on to the circuit to add as much or as little grit as you need/want without altering the circuit itself.

If you choose to change out the 56k to get some more gain, then you're delving into truly modding the circuit. You could either socket it and try increasing values of resistance, or stick a 100k, 500k, even 1M trimmer on the Trimmit to replace the stock 56k. Another option would be to add another pot/trimmit in addition to the 56k — I'd suggest 50k, that way at minimum rotation you've got the stock 56k and up to 106k potential gain. Maybe 50k isn't enough, and you want 250k for a total of 306k, 500k trimmer/pot for total 556k...
or other way and a 25k or 20k pot + the stock 56k is enough...
Sounds like your board is already built, so if I were to do that gain mod, I'd just clip one end of the 56k and solder in the pot between the resistor and existing pad — minimal invasion.

Summink to fink 'bout.

Back