TUTORIAL Just Got Your Breadboard/Protoboard? Start Here! LPB1 + Some Dirty Mods!

I just did the beavis audio version of this that is slightly different and it worked great for my first breadboard pedal. I was happy to have then found this thread so I can do some of your mods. Cool stuff! Mine sounded great in front of my 2204 but I changed the C1 to a lower capacitance to get more highs and it really sounded great. I was surprised a simple circuit on a breadboard could sound so good. Looking forward to experimenting on these mods and then moving to a different project.

Thanks for doing these!

I just did the beavis audio version of this that is slightly different and it worked great for my first breadboard pedal. I was happy to have then found this thread so I can do some of your mods. Cool stuff! Mine sounded great in front of my 2204 but I changed the C1 to a lower capacitance to get more highs and it really sounded great. I was surprised a simple circuit on a breadboard could sound so good. Looking forward to experimenting on these mods and then moving to a different project.

Thanks for doing these!
This is just my way of giving back to the community. Let us know what you come up with for your mods! You may also want to take a look at the Resources section or wander your way into Chuck's Boneyard for more in depth analysis and tasty ideas for your next project.
1667401589567.png

This is just my way of giving back to the community. Let us know what you come up with for your mods! You may also want to take a look at the Resources section or wander your way into Chuck's Boneyard for more in depth analysis and tasty ideas for your next project.
View attachment 35122
Cool! thanks for pointing that out.. It was right in front of me but I never noticed. That will keep me busy for a while :)

With a little know how and a dash of luck, you can make the LPB-1 into a much more tweakable tool than just a booster.

Here are 2 slightly different circuits using a LPB-1 as the inspiration. The Boo-ster and Spooky Dookie!

1697222996166.png

Last edited:
Thanks for putting this resource together. I’m trying to understand circuits better, and this is a perfect starting point.

I’m getting discouraged because I’ve built this circuit, a JHS Minibomb several ways, and a DOD 250 but none have worked. I’m wondering if there’s something wrong with using the auditorium platform with a breadboard in this way that I’m not understanding?

edit: I did plug it in and run cables through it obviously I just removed them before taking pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0649.jpeg
    IMG_0649.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0650.jpeg
    IMG_0650.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0648.jpeg
    IMG_0648.jpeg
    367.8 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for putting this resource together. I’m trying to understand circuits better, and this is a perfect starting point.

I’m getting discouraged because I’ve built this circuit, a JHS Minibomb several ways, and a DOD 250 but none have worked. I’m wondering if there’s something wrong with using the auditorium platform with a breadboard in this way that I’m not understanding?

edit: I did plug it in and run cables through it obviously I just removed them before taking pictures.
You've got no sound whatsoever? Does the LED light up? This would be a good idea to troubleshoot because of the few parts used here. First of all, confirm the pinout of the BJT since I can't tell what you're using. Secondly, check with a DMM the voltages on each pin. Third, I would check the values of those resistors. Hard to tell exactly in the pics you provided. If the emitter resistor is too high of a value nothing will come through signalwise.

Edit: @SlowAudio check out my troubleshoot thread here.

Last edited:
Back