Mithra A4 - Booster + Distortion (Mechanical Beasts series)

Does it work? Yes, partly. The Electra works fine. The AMZ booster doesn't work. I need to check it, but the usual suspect is the BS107FTA. They're unreliable as hell. I also need to check the electrolytics, as it's the first time soldering SMD electrolytics, and maybe I didn't do a decent job there. But al the rest (bypass, one of the effects, power rail, etc) works. So, happy still. 😊

How does it sound?
Like this:
Bear in mind: I'm playing with one hand, and holding my phone with the other, so, it is what it is... 😝
But I wanted to give you an idea.

Some people love science-fiction, because they watched Star Wars during their childhood.

I wonder if you would have some examples in mind about some industrial designs that triggered, or initiated your love for them ?

What made you start loving these things ?
Oh! Industrial Design, or why I'll never be "boutique" 😂

When I say that I love Industrial Design, some people think I like beautiful products. And while that's partly true, that's not the complete answer. I love beautiful products that can be mass produced. It is the solving of these manufacturing problems that I find most interesting, and what I love about Industrial Design. An artisan can also produce a beautiful products, but those products are unique. They're made by hand. There are not two that are exactly the same. I want to create objects that can be mass produced (even if I never mass produce them). So, I'll never be "boutique", I guess.

One example of something that triggered my attention when I was a teen is something that is very dear to this community: the Fender Stratocaster. Even though that guitar is the most iconic electric guitar in the world (I guess it's the guitar most people think of when you ask them "think of an electric guitar"), it wasn't that what made it interesting to me, but reading how Leo Fender made decisions in its creation (and also on the Broadcaster/Telecaster). That was what made me realize how important manufacturing is in the creation of a product. Leo always had ease of manufacturing in mind, and that shaped Fender's instruments creation.

Two other objects that I owned also sparked my interest: the Commodore 64 and the Macintosh Plus. Both represent the "all in one" computer product of their time.

The Commodore 64 (I'm referring to the breadbin case that most people associate with it), was designed for ease of production, but there's also a tangible factor in it that it's hard to define: when you have one in your hands, there's a certain satisfaction to its construction (the shapes, the weight) that gives it a special characteristic that few other computers of the era were able to reproduce. But if you analyze it, it's nothing more than a nicely designed injection molding case. Amazing.

The Macintosh Plus was another iconic design, and again, other that its particular design characteristics, one thing that for some reason made a huge impression on me was opening it and finding the signatures of the designers inside the case. Thinking "yes, these are the people that made this product" made it more human, and made me wanna be part of that group. I knew that I wanted to create products too. Products that could be mass produced, and that gave its users joy.

Later in life, when I went to college, I was undecided between Industrial Design and Graphic Design, and for practical reasons at the time, I ended up settling on Graphic Design. But my love for Industrial Design has always been with me, and this hobby was the perfect excuse to put it to work.

I hope I can do a decent job. Cheers!

Ok, today was “fiddle with the pedal” day.

I audio-probed the circuit (btw, had an idea for a nice audio probe), and found that there was no sound at the base of the fet. I desoldered the fet and soldered a new one. No change. I also desoldered the zener and put a new one. No change.

I then thought that maybe I should assemble a new board, and see if things improved. And after I did that, tested the newly assembled board… and none of the effects worked (which is odd).

So, I guess I need a deeper investigation of the issue, but the weekend has so many hours, so I’ll have to leave that for another moment.

Not a very productive day, but that’s how things are sometimes. I’m thinking maybe soldering by hand may not be the best way to do things. I’ll seriously consider a stencil, solder paste and a hot plate, instead of using my soldering iron (though it has worked for me so far). But if I want to use a hot plate, I need to modify the PCBs to put all the SMD components on one side (right now I have the power rail components on the opposite side of the effect. Same for the connector).

We’ll see. I need to think about things a bit, and also do a thorough investigation of the circuit.

I’ll keep you informed.

While I've been busy with other matters, I needed a connections graphic to keep handy to debug the pedal (sometimes you forget what's connected to what), so I made these:
connections-a-b.png
These are the effects in A-B configuration. And the same, in B-A configuration:
connections-b-a.png
Cheers.

Back