Moonn - Höf a Nice Day

Mentaltossflycoon

Here's another fun/easy one from Nils at Moonn. I had no prior knowledge of this fuzz. We're all familiar with Höfner instruments but i have no point of reference here as per usual. So, of the handful of obscure vintage fuzzes I've built from moonn, this one's solidly #2 especially when talking bass usefulness. The aglio e olio being the most bass friendly, trickverzerrer was the most underwhelming. Unsurprisingly this is not a gigging fuzz, thins out with the depth maxed. I prefer it with the depth below noon. Has a nice low/medium crustiness with more acceptable amounts of lows getting through. It is it's own unique thing. It may be destined to be a shelf dweller but it's quite welcome there. Screenshot_20230928_231413_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230928_231354_Gallery.jpg

Been interested in this one for a while but couldn’t find too much info on the actual units. At the time the only info I could find was that there were selmer buzz tones that were whitelabeled for Hofner, though the schematics for the two differ somewhat on the web, and I believe even the selmer version schematics on the web were of questionable accuracy for many years until an original had clear gutshots posted. Both are just such rare boxes that for a long time the schematics of both were based on supposed traces with no photo documentation on Internet forums from the very early 00s. I’ve yet to find info or clear pics detailing the fuzz circuit that was built into Hofner’s 500/8 BZ basses that were used on early and middle period Mothers of Invention albums, but I wonder if the Hofner Buzz has some shared DNA.
Really adds some mystery and intrigue to the history of these circuits!

Anyway, great looking build! Your comments about it being nice on bass make me want to jump on it this weekend. The polished enclosure looks super tight, and that image… I don’t know if you’re a Star Wars fan, but it certainly reminds me of the recent resurgence of some fan-favorites from 2016 😉

Been interested in this one for a while but couldn’t find too much info on the actual units. At the time the only info I could find was that there were selmer buzz tones that were whitelabeled for Hofner, though the schematics for the two differ somewhat on the web, and I believe even the selmer version schematics on the web were of questionable accuracy for many years until an original had clear gutshots posted. Both are just such rare boxes that for a long time the schematics of both were based on supposed traces with no photo documentation on Internet forums from the very early 00s. I’ve yet to find info or clear pics detailing the fuzz circuit that was built into Hofner’s 500/8 BZ basses that were used on early and middle period Mothers of Invention albums, but I wonder if the Hofner Buzz has some shared DNA.
Really adds some mystery and intrigue to the history of these circuits!

Anyway, great looking build! Your comments about it being nice on bass make me want to jump on it this weekend. The polished enclosure looks super tight, and that image… I don’t know if you’re a Star Wars fan, but it certainly reminds me of the recent resurgence of some fan-favorites from 2016 😉
To be overly clear, my "good on bass" comment is within the context of vintage style fuzzes from moonn. The Lofran and big mess circuits crush this thing in the lows.

I'm a reluctant star wars fan. Phantom Menace was pretty upsetting when I was 17 so I've been treading lightly ever since. I am aware of the fan favorite your referencing though. This whale bus is from this weird collection of "Victorian visions of the year 2000" here's a few others I saved.
20200904_024106.jpg 20200904_023948.jpg 20200904_024216.jpg correspondence.jpg microbes1.jpg

Last edited:
To be overly clear, my "good on bass" comment is within the context of vintage style fuzzes from moonn. The Lofran and big mess circuits crush this thing in the lows.
Oh yeah, I totally got what you meant, especially with your mention of it not being a good gigging fuzz and it thinning out a bit. Those thin, reedy, baritone-oboe-ish fuzz tones are my jam though— maybe a clean blend would make it more suitable?

. This whale bus is from this weird collection of "Victorian visions of the year 2000" here's a few others I saved.

View attachment 57499View attachment 57500View attachment 57501View attachment 57502View attachment 57503
I friggin love these. Hadn’t ever seen the whale bus one, but this is a fav of mine:
IMG_0935.jpeg
Late 19th and early 20th century futurist art was absolutely bonkers 😂

Love your build, but I'll be honest — I hate small PCBs like this.

I wanted it but had not ordered it, and it didn't come in my surprise pack.

Y'see, when a board that small comes into my possession, I immediately want to squeeze it in a 1590A, pure masochism.
I would call it the Damned HassleHöf.

Still, you said you liked the Höf on bass, so... I'll likely put it in my next Moonn order.

Speaking of StarWars, I just came across these pulp SW-themed graphics and DL'd them for possible Pedal Art:

star_wars_kessel_run_print_l.jpg

X-WINGS FOR VICTORY.jpg

SWPulp-V PRINCESS & THE SCOUNDREL.jpeg

padme love me to death starwars.jpeg

star-wars-pulp-covers PURLOINED PLANS.jpg

dark side seduction starwars.png

Applepolywogies for SW-spammage to your thread.

Back