Most Versatile Fuzz Circuit (DIY and Commercial)

I am leaning toward a single fuzz for my board and some sort of a home brew Fuzz factory is likely where I’ll head.

A Big Muff with a mids control is OBVIOUSLY the most versatile FUZZ! Sorry, I couldn’t help myself😂. But really, what instrument are you looking drop this on?

I'd love to try the Silver Machine by JPTR FX. It does gentle and octave fuzz.
I've seen gut shots of a couple of versions. They went SMD. I'd love a trace.
The originals are too bulky.

Dung beetle is one of my favorites. It is never leaving my board. Two tone controls and a bias knob that gives you that splatty velcro sound if you want it or just good old sustaining fuzz tone. You can lower the fuzz control and get some hearty overdriven sounds with it too

My biggest gripe lately is that I don’t want to deal with placement issues anymore, I want something that plays nice with my Tearjerker and just something that can cover Ge and Si Fuzz Face territory and also Mk II and Mk 1.5 territory.

I’ve been looking at the Carcosa and Scarab Deluxe recently.

My big thing in the last few weeks has been looking at my board and trying to consolidate. I’ve been playing a huge lately and even though I love the MK II tone, I’ve been digging my Si Fuzz Face and also my Si MK II on the breadboard right now.

I know one classic fuzz to rule them all is a tall order but I’d love a Si glow unit that can cover all bases.

@Big Monk input the dung beetle after a whole bunch of stuff (buffer, wah, comps) and have no issues at all. Not surprising since it’s a high input Z fuzz but it definitely makes it an even more attractive option.

The dung beetle is the go to fuzz pedal in this household.

I gotta do a video with that in the title, get all click baity and shit
Is your dung beetle the one that has the copper tone box with the bejeweled looking beetle on it? I saw that on here one day and was like wtf THAT is cool!

Board space saver idea if you have room under your board build a thin switcher strip and use it to enable more set and forget type pedals mounted under your board

I’ve been looking at the Carcosa and Scarab Deluxe recently.
I have built both these pedals out of the 2 the scarab made it to a box although it was a very tough choice I felt with the bias and fat knob gave it just a bit more versatility but really both sound fantastic just a bit more knob fiddling with the scarab dialing in something useful

Versatile fuzz? No such thing! I've built like 50, (crying) there can't be just one that does it all!

For my personal tastes the boss hyper fuzz is about as versatile as it gets and the fuzz I'm using 50% of the time.

Let me narrow down my desires here.

I want a device that gets me MK II, MK 1.5, and Fuzz Face tones.

I want no issues with placement and impedance. I want the ability to tweak parameters that give me classic and higher gain Fuzz Face tones.

You know what this means, right? Forum Fuzz. We need to design a Classic Fuzz Machine.

The PedalPCB Vintage Fuzz Machine.

Is your dung beetle the one that has the copper tone box with the bejeweled looking beetle on it? I saw that on here one day and was like wtf THAT is cool!
I gotta start taking stuff out of frame, yeah it is one of a few I have made but that one is MINE. Black matte enclosure with Bronze knobs and a painted dung beetle

I swap between a Carcosa, Behringer SF300, diy Pharoah, Ultra Stoner, Arkaim, and a Death Cap.

From that list, the Carcosa is definitely the most versatile with the most range. It can’t quite get all the way down in the mud like my muff variants, but I don’t think that’s what you want anyway. On the other hand, you can tweak it to ripping velcro, splatter, all the way to a buzz box sound.
The controls are interactive. It’s not difficult to dial in, but there’s a lot of fiddling to be done if you want to sit and look for new sounds.

I don’t have a scarab/beetle, but it seems to have a wide span also.

I swap between a Carcosa, Behringer SF300, diy Pharoah, Ultra Stoner, Arkaim, and a Death Cap.

From that list, the Carcosa is definitely the most versatile with the most range. It can’t quite get all the way down in the mud like my muff variants, but I don’t think that’s what you want anyway. On the other hand, you can tweak it to ripping velcro, splatter, all the way to a buzz box sound.
The controls are interactive. It’s not difficult to dial in, but there’s a lot of fiddling to be done if you want to sit and look for new sounds.

I don’t have a scarab/beetle, but it seems to have a wide span also.

Will the Carcosa do the more refined MK II and Fuzz Face tones as well?

Back