Most Versatile Non-FV1 Delay Board

Yeah, it depends what you want out of a delay. The dirt baby is awesome for copping the vibe of a deluxe memory man without investing in BBD chips. The cavedweller dub edition (it's on Vero somewhere) is lo-fi and as cavernous as they get but it's not a clean delay at all, very cool sounds there though.

Somebody was selling an old Zero Point Special Deluxe board on the madbean forum the other day, I don't know of a PT2399 project with more bells and whistles than that one. It's probably still available.

The VFE stuff sounds great, the Möbius Strip does some very cool stuff. The Sagan is very cool, but it's hard to find boards for.

My personal favs are the Grind Customs De Profundis (there are Vero and Perf layouts) and the 1776 Effects Multiplex Echo Machine, which has been out of stock forever.

I started a multiplex around xmas and set it aside to work on something else, but I'm looking forward to getting back to it. I'm sitting on a bunch of delay builds that I'm excited about

I started a multiplex around xmas and set it aside to work on something else, but I'm looking forward to getting back to it. I'm sitting on a bunch of delay builds that I'm excited about

I finished mine late last year. It’s pretty good. I find that I prefer the Space Echo setting, head 1 and minimum and head 2 at 50%. Gives you a quick reverb and a longer delay at the same time…

I finished mine late last year. It’s pretty good. I find that I prefer the Space Echo setting, head 1 and minimum and head 2 at 50%. Gives you a quick reverb and a longer delay at the same time…
That's good cuz I'm building it for the space echo setting but I'm putting a Belton brick reverb in it too

That's good cuz I'm building it for the space echo setting but I'm putting a Belton brick reverb in it too

I built mine with the mod board. I haven’t gotten it to work yet, though. Same with the second footswitch. It’s in my troubleshoot pile. I made the mistake of trying to cram it all in a 1590bb…and also rushing to get it done. What does work works great, though…

Not too difficult or expensive, but don't forget the NE571.
Thanks for pointing that out. I haven't used a compander chip in a board since building one of Craig Anderton's octave-divider pedals a long time ago, but I will check my parts before ordering more of them.

I just realized the Cosmos is out of stock. And so is the Sagan. :(
I have a Cosmos board if you want it. I got a bogo, but to be honest, I have yet to get the damn thing to work right. I get nothing but oscillation. I would be interested to see if you could get it to work.

I have a Cosmos board if you want it. I got a bogo, but to be honest, I have yet to get the damn thing to work right. I get nothing but oscillation. I would be interested to see if you could get it to work.
That would be great. I’ll DM you.

From what I have heard I believe that guy made some errors on the board. And by some, I mean lots.

Back to Buddy’s original question though, I have built a Sagan, dark rift, magnetron w/oscillation mod, and a mobius.
The Sagan is great with just a ton of options and a challenging build. Mine is a little noisy so with the buffered bypass it def raises the noise floor.
The Dark rift was nice, but was ultimately put on the chopping block for reason I don’t remember right now.
By far my favorites have been the Mobius and the Magnetron, very different sounds though. The magnetron has very nice modulation available and the addition of an oscillation switch seals the deal. The Mobius gives you the option of asynchronous repeats which is awesome.
The Mobius being a VFE build is another challenging build, but worth it.

Anybody got any good recommendations for a non-FV1 chip delay pedal? Obviously there's no one size fits all, but I'm looking for decent delay times, the ability to oscillate, and can sound cavernous if needed. I guess I am looking for a one size fits pedal, haha

It's looking like a fight between Cataclysm, Dark Rift, Magnetron, Seabed, and Spirit Box
I built both the dark rift delay and the spirit box. They are incredible together in tandem but as it's been mentioned the spirit box is def more of a reverb. I love the dark rift delay. It replaced my carbon copy analog delay on my main board for now. It's a typical earthquaker pedal that goes from subtle to far out & gnarly. 10/10 would recommend.

Back