Muffin man

Mentaltossflycoon

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
As a bmp guy and a frequent Zappa listener I had to build this one. I knew it wouldn't be good for bass but I built it anyway. It actually isn't that weak but compared to any other muff it's definitely lacking there. It also lacks the gain of a garden variety muff as expected.

What it doesn't lack is character. There's some honk available that muffs tend to scoop out. I've been messing around with parallel fuzz and I paired this with a few bass fuzzes and got some enormous sounds. DAM dark meathead and persica were especially nice combinations to fill out what I was missing. Even a tall font in parallel creates a serious fuzz wall.

I didn't feel the need for augmentation when using with my telecaster. Sometimes a guitar pedal is a guitar pedal and that's OK. This muff makes me want to work on my lead chops for sure.

Screenshot_20240410_010805_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20240410_010744_Gallery.jpg

Glad to read you've embarked on a pilgrimage into the parallel!

Build looks great-
It's like the AI generator got into Salvador Dali's peyote drawer.

mustache-eye-popping.gif

Do we know which songs Frank used his Muff on?
I don't associate him with fuzz tones, somehow.
I know surprisingly little about his gear considering how much of a fan I am. I mean I can almost sit through Thing Fish. Almost.

I’m being lazy (but will do the legwork if no one knows off the top of their heads)- other than the component values, isn’t this simpler another Muff variant? Could this be built on a Muffin Fuzz board by simply using these values? Or is there some other circuit changes (jumpers/trace mods etc)?

Back