Muffin Stomp '75 100nF Electro vs Film Cap

pcb rookie

I'm building Stomp '75 muffin (followed by other muffin versions). I have about 50 of Nichicon electrolytic 100nF and there are 8 needed in the '75. I noticed that I could swap there with metal film caps which I use as often as possible. If I sort the Nichocon (20% tolerance) and pick the ones that are as close as possible to 100nF, would I ear any difference compared with metal film caps? Within these 8 caps, are there some that are more critical in the circuit?

build docs: https://docs.pedalpcb.com/project/MuffinFuzz.pdf

I've attached and highlighted in red the 100nF caps on the shematic

Attachments

• Muffi.pdf
    244.3 KB · Views: 5
That 20% tolerance would be more accurate to the OG than anything, simply given the fact that the values used pedal to pedal varied. There’s a reason there are 14 different ‘76 BMP circuits…

My personal rule of thumb is as follows:

pF: ceramic or MLCC
nF: box film
uF: electrolytic

You guys are right. This is minor. I tested/measured all the components I'll be using, including the 100nF electrolytic caps I was planning on using and they all measure between 105nF-107nF ... that is pretty dam close. It's on the low and of the tolerance spectrum. Probably closer then the tolerance they used in the originals!!! I plan on doing a few different muff versions. I can't wait to play them and enjoy the differences.

Back