Multi meter

I have one mentioned above (Crenova 890z), but I'm not sure how accurate it is when reading DC voltage... There have been many discrepancies between it and other testers. The only problem is that the OTHER testers are also slightly iffy - the TC1. I have two of those, and they both read almost identically - then I check the same resistor with the Crenova and it's way different. Fresh batteries and all. Checked a 9v battery against a dedicated battery tester and the Crenova, and same thing - different readings.

I'm starting to use the MM in a transistor-checking station, and I want to make sure it's as accurate as possible. Should I look into getting a different one? If so, what are some current favorites? I can't really spend Fluke money...

Personally, I've had good experiences with Klein Tools multimeters for precision work. They offer decent accuracy without the hefty price tag. Just make sure to read some reviews and maybe even test a few in-store if you can.
Still, I've been browsing through a catalog filled with Multimeters recently, and there are some solid options out there that won't break the bank. While Fluke might be out of the budget, brands like Klein Tools or Amprobe offer reliable models at more affordable prices.
So, if you're finding discrepancies with your current multimeter, it might be worth considering an upgrade.

Last edited:
For a good budget option I like the AstroAI 6000. I got it as a backup on a black friday sale, and ended up using it as my primary one.

Got myself one of these (2D72)... Capacitor meter was one of the main demands when I upgraded from the 10,- version I owned before, that didn't even have a diode tester! (So it got useless pretty fast when I starting out touching pedals in inappropiate places). Also wanted a function generator so I could calibrate my cassette multi track. Reading through a few build logs, I read that an oscilloscope comes handy down the line as well, but haven't been there yet; I assume audio probing is possible as well. So yeah, not top of the line, but when tinkering with these analog audio circuits, "eyeballing it" tends to be more than enough. 🙈

From my research it's the best multifunctional tool around for this price, alongside the Owon handheld oscilloscope (which is a true-RMS one, with much higher counts (20.000) compared to the Hantek (4000). But the Hantek has software that allows you duplicate the screen onto a computer screen, which I expected to be more useful eventually. When you deal with audio range, a lot of the lower range will do, so I let higher precision for what it is. To each their own, I suppose!

Last edited:
had lots of meters over the years. the old analog and digital freebee harbor freight ones with the transistor tester, craftsmen, matco, mac, few flukes. They all have been great to be honest. In my opinion, there is no, zero reason that mandates Fluke as a "must have" for building pedals. Do they make great meters that are percise? sure. If i'm toying with mission critical and/or leathal systems, yes i'm gonna grab my fluke. I always have this pocket meter in my jacket and its used all day at work. 9/10 times its just fine. I always like to see auto-range(with manual range if possible), continuity w/beep is a must, resistance(ohms), I use the hell out of "Min-max". a power supply and a scope is real nice to have, that way you can see whats happening. IMG_4895.jpg

Back