Muzzle (classic) not working......

Pies

Hi,

This week I built a muzzle (classic) but unfortunately it's not working. When I built it I used a stereo jack for the key input instead of a switching jack by accident, so I've removed that and have ordered a switching jack. In the meantime to test the pedal I've twisted the key input wires together but still nothing.

The LED is always red although a couple of times when I have turned it on it has flicked to green for a few seconds and then as soon as I turn the pot it turns to red.

The one thing that doesn't seem right is the 4301 IC get slight warm, it's not really hot but you can feel that it's warm.

Any ideas how I can get this thing working or what I should check next?

Attachments

• IMG_4498 copy.jpg
    IMG_4498 copy.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4499 copy.jpg
    IMG_4499 copy.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: fig
Pull everything out of the enclosure and test it (grounding issues) take a pic of the other side of the board. Did you check all components for proper value, type, and installation? Never hurts to doubt check those things. Mistakes happen.

what’s going on there? It’s fuzzy is that flux? If that’s the case the you should clean the whole board. Did you burn the board?if that’s the case.. .. that would be no bueno.

Attachments

• 004899AE-9AE9-453E-87AB-B2C4795017A9.jpeg
    004899AE-9AE9-453E-87AB-B2C4795017A9.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 9
This logo?

aUSVzFy.jpg

Seriously though, I have some SMDs sans logo. I'm going to solder one to an adapter board and test it in a Muzzle I built last week sometime in the future. I also have some dip versions to test, but they are sporting the logo.

That doesn't look like a genuine THAT4301 IC, it should have the THAT logo.

View attachment 12974
I had this PCB in my box from a while ago and could only a 4301 on eBay, I've messaged to seller to ask if it's genuine and they just refunded with no reply...... so that answers that question :(

The only problem now is tracking another one down, the only one I can find is £37 which seems real expensive even for a discontinued IC.

Pull everything out of the enclosure and test it (grounding issues) take a pic of the other side of the board. Did you check all components for proper value, type, and installation? Never hurts to doubt check those things. Mistakes happen.

what’s going on there? It’s fuzzy is that flux? If that’s the case the you should clean the whole board. Did you burn the board?if that’s the case.. .. that would be no bueno.
That's just flux, I didn't clean to board yet....

There's aren't any bridge but I do need to give the PCB a clean. I'm hoping I can track down another 4301 and that solves the problem as I love the way the artwork worked out on this one.

Just in case it was a grounding issue I tested the pedal with everything out of the enclosure and it still didn't work, the 4301 chip got quite warm, the LED was on green this time but no sound.

Attachments

• IMG_4577 copy.jpg
    IMG_4577 copy.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4579 copy.jpg
    IMG_4579 copy.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 14
Well if everything rings out, no grounding issues, clean that board, swap them jacks out, and best of luck to you on finding an IC. Hopefully you can get that thing working. It’s an awesome gate.

Back