MXR carbon copy

RetiredUnit1

Hey!

Cats being cats, and me being forgetful, I now own one less MXR carbon copy. I opened it to look, it was all smd and a large area had been corroded. Gaaa....

Does anyone know which of the Delay pedals available at pedalpcb are the closest to a carbon copy? The 15% sale ends tomorrow so I wanna buy a board asap. I've been building tube amps for 20 years, and have made quite a few Hiwatt DR504's which are a PITA to build. I'm just now getting into pedal building and love it.....

Thanks, Allen

I believe the magnetron has similar delay times available, but is based on the Keeley magnetic echo. Maybe start there and see if it's similar enough based on some sound clips of the magnetic echo.

I believe the magnetron has similar delay times available, but is based on the Keeley magnetic echo. Maybe start there and see if it's similar enough based on some sound clips of the magnetic echo.
I saw that, and was thinking it would be great but it's not available right now. I'm on the waiting list. I just checked out demos of the spirit box. That'll do. The PT2399 chip is available at Tayda for cheap, and it's got great reviews as a chip that actually works instead of being DOA. So I'm ordering that today too.......

Edited: Oops, the magnatron is available. lol. I was confused with another pedal....

All good. My suggestion is to get several pt2399 chips for this one and swap em in. They won't be dead but there is often a lot of variance with the noise level so a few chips gives you the option to find the best one. They aren't pricey from tayda either.

The Carbon Copy is a bucket brigade delay and it sounds quite different than PT2399 delays, which are typically brighter sounding. You may want to look at the MadBean analog delays to find something closer. That being said, I haven’t tried the Magnetron so I can’t say for sure. And +1 to trying multiple chips!

All good. My suggestion is to get several pt2399 chips for this one and swap em in. They won't be dead but there is often a lot of variance with the noise level so a few chips gives you the option to find the best one. They aren't pricey from tayda either.
Good advice! I'll definitely do that. I use pedals on vocals as well as guitar and have noticed identical pedals can sound a lot different. Going to be selling all my old pedals now that I'm making them....

I noticed they also have machined dip sockets. 28 cents instead of 6 cents. Going to try those too!!!!

The Carbon Copy is a bucket brigade delay and it sounds quite different than PT2399 delays, which are typically brighter sounding. You may want to look at the MadBean analog delays to find something closer. That being said, I haven’t tried the Magnetron so I can’t say for sure. And +1 to trying multiple chips!

I wouldn’t call the Magnatron bright at all…

Don't sell them all yet. There is a definite learning curve to some of these. That and sometimes a pedal in the palm is worth two in the backlog.... For real... The backlog gets crazy when you're doing this.
No, I won't! I play a lot and couldn't imagine being without my favorite pedals....

I'm also building a 1959 Tweed Bassman 5F6-A with a few mods right now. I'm retired so I gotta keep busy.

I wish Weber still had the DR103 kit. a DR103 is my ultimate dream amp. Absurdly loud of course, so It'd have to be attenuated significantly, but I suppose a master volume &/or Torpedo/other reactive load box would make that mostly a non issue (I don't get the complaints about master volume controls. sure, its different, but not necessarily in a bad way), and at least then I could still use it as a true, unrestricted DR103 if I ever get a chance to turn it up in the middle of nowhere while I have multiple layers of hearing protection on and stand 1/4 of a mile from the amp, for recording purposes of course 😂
IDK... I'm just a Fripp and Lifeson fanboy, so I want a DR103 really bad.

If only those could be built for a few hundred bucks, instead of like 3 grand 😅🤣😭

I wish Weber still had the DR103 kit. a DR103 is my ultimate dream amp. Absurdly loud of course, so It'd have to be attenuated significantly, but I suppose a master volume &/or Torpedo/other reactive load box would make that mostly a non issue (I don't get the complaints about master volume controls. sure, its different, but not necessarily in a bad way), and at least then I could still use it as a true, unrestricted DR103 if I ever get a chance to turn it up in the middle of nowhere while I have multiple layers of hearing protection on and stand 1/4 of a mile from the amp, for recording purposes of course 😂
IDK... I'm just a Fripp and Lifeson fanboy, so I want a DR103 really bad.

If only those could be built for a few hundred bucks, instead of like 3 grand 😅🤣😭
I didn't use a kit, I just made tag boards from scratch (using 3/8" between turrets) and followed the layout. I used Mercury magnetic transformers which cost about $550. They're only a few miles from my house, so even tho they're expensive, after you subtract freight it's actually cheaper for me to buy from them. I also get "the good guy" discount as I've ordered over 30 trannys from them.

I use a Felker tile saw, cooled with water for sawing the G10 epoxy board which REALLY helps keep the intensely nasty smell down, and a drill press for drilling the holes and for pressing in the turrets (referred to as swagging). You can find the layouts on Mark Huss' website. https://mhuss.com/ just follow the links to his Hiwatt.org site.

And if you have any questions you can ask me. The order in which you put things together is very important, as is in pedals!!!

There was a site, I forget the name, that only sold the chassis. They are gone. But Mojotone.com now has HIWATT Kits!!!!! 50 and 100. Plus they sell the chassis if that's all you want.

My total cost for these ran around $750 close to 20 years ago......

edited: I'm awake now, having had a late breakfast and 20oz of coffee. The Hiwatts do not breakup, at all. You get significant speaker breakup at full volume but the amp is clean. So it's why people call it a pedal amp. As such you really don't need an attenuation device. I routinely play mine at bedroom volume, and it sounds the same as it does at very high volume. I use a 4x10 and a 4x12 together so the amp doesn't breakup the speakers even at high volume.

It's a dream amp. I mulled over making a 100, but this thing PUSHES AIR like crazy, especially with 8 speakers. I dare say that when I crank this puppy outside, no one can hear the drummer, lol.... I was cranking it inside when I was first testing it, and turned it off feeling all cool and proud of my work, turned around and there was broken glass all over the floor. WHAT THE??? I thought, then I looked up and saw the $60 ceiling light had unscrewed itself and fallen to the floor.

Whoops.....

Last edited:
Do you know of any good resources, kits, etc. for building Hiwatts? I know of lots for Marshall and Fenders, but I've rarely seen much for Hiwatts.
Weber, and Mojotone. And here's a great site where you can discuss all things Hiwatt. I know that Mhuss is a member, his site mhuss.com and hiwatt.org are where I got my initial info for building my own from scratch. Man, what a learning curve that was......

Magnetron is a good choice. I built it the same time as the Cataclysm. I liked both but slightly preferred the Cataclysm. If you must have modulation, go with the Magnetron though--Cataclysm doesn't have it.

Back