My First 2-1! (Lightspeed/RAT)

geoffrey

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Super proud of this moment, guys! I know, the guts are not the best and the drilling is a wee bit off in certain places, but this the first time I've attempted something like this.

The Lightspeed is my favorite light/transparent/organic (whatever word you like lol) overdrive and of course you have to have a RAT on your board, so this is a match made in heaven!

I've compared the PedalPCB, Fuzzdog, Effects Layouts Lightspeed and Rat boards and they're all legit. Had a couple Effects Layouts boards in the pile and thought, why not?

For the diodes in the Neotoma (RAT), I socketed and went with Ge, LED's, and 1N914s for 3 RATs in one (I do have a question about these that I'm going to post on the general questions board). The LED's are externally mounted so you can see them light up as you play. Pretty cool.

I'n think I'm going to change the order switch to a toggle because unless you have the foot of a child, the space is pretty tight. Will probably opt for some smaller knobs on the RAT side too.

All in all, super happy with myself. Didn't run into any issues and got it right on the first try. The next combo I build will be all PedalPCB and cleaner for sure! Onward and upward!
IMG_8722.jpg IMG_8723.jpg

Super proud of this moment, guys! I know, the guts are not the best and the drilling is a wee bit off in certain places, but this the first time I've attempted something like this.

The Lightspeed is my favorite light/transparent/organic (whatever word you like lol) overdrive and of course you have to have a RAT on your board, so this is a match made in heaven!

I've compared the PedalPCB, Fuzzdog, Effects Layouts Lightspeed and Rat boards and they're all legit. Had a couple Effects Layouts boards in the pile and thought, why not?

For the diodes in the Neotoma (RAT), I socketed and went with Ge, LED's, and 1N914s for 3 RATs in one (I do have a question about these that I'm going to post on the general questions board). The LED's are externally mounted so you can see them light up as you play. Pretty cool.

I'n think I'm going to change the order switch to a toggle because unless you have the foot of a child, the space is pretty tight. Will probably opt for some smaller knobs on the RAT side too.

All in all, super happy with myself. Didn't run into any issues and got it right on the first try. The next combo I build will be all PedalPCB and cleaner for sure! Onward and upward!
View attachment 43940View attachment 43942

Great combination of drives. I was just watching Lightspeed demos this morning and put a Mach 1 in my cart.

I agree the knobs should be smaller but the color scheme is sweet. I totally dig the visible clipping diodes. Just did that on a build and it's very cool. I really think that letting the LEDs out of the dark enclosure opens up the clipping and helps cut through the mix...

Great combination of drives. I was just watching Lightspeed demos this morning and put a Mach 1 in my cart.

I agree the knobs should be smaller but the color scheme is sweet. I totally dig the visible clipping diodes. Just did that on a build and it's very cool. I really think that letting the LEDs out of the dark enclosure opens up the clipping and helps cut through the mix...
Thanks and you won’t regret building the Mach 1. It’s magical (no hyperbole).

And yea I used the knobs I had but definitely want to go with black knobs for the RAT and white for the Lightspeed.

Regarding the LED’s, I never even thought about how letting them out would affect the sound, was only thinking of aesthetics. Thanks for opening my eyes to that!

I love me a good 2 in 1 build, nice work! That sounds like a great combo too. I've heard good things about the Lightspeed so I might have to add that to my list.

Nice! If you change the flipper to a switch, you’ll have a large hole with which to deal with. You can vary the height of the stomps, that would help.

Good job. The wiring in your build looks cleaner then most of mine. I love 2 in 1's. I have about 6 or 7 circuits not boxed up because I can't decide which should pair up. I most recently built a Muroidea (Rat), and may pair it with a Distortion 250 (MXR D+/DOD 250). They should play well together, right???

Looks great! I've been thinking off and on about trying a 2 in 1 for a while. The main thing that's stopped me is decision paralysis!

Nice! If you change the flipper to a switch, you’ll have a large hole with which to deal with. You can vary the height of the stomps, that would help.
Yea, I thought of the big hole a few minutes before you replied. I didn’t think of adjusting the height, thanks for the idea. It’s a good one

Good job. The wiring in your build looks cleaner than most of mine. I love 2 in 1's. I have about 6 or 7 circuits not boxed up because I can't decide which should pair up. I most recently built a Muroidea (Rat), and may pair it with a Distortion 250 (MXR D+/DOD 250). They should play well together, right???
Thanks! The wiring isn’t up to my usual standards but I’m fine with it because it was my first time undertaking something like this.

Maybe someone else can verify, but I’m pretty sure the D+ is basically a prehistoric Rat (like a Neanderthal to human progression lol). I’d think they’d play well together; the Rat is more versatile so you could probably just “set it and forget it” with the D+ and twiddle the rat for the sweet spot. Sounds like fun to me!

Well…since I posted yesterday I think I have an idea that sounds exciting to me.

This weekend I first heard about the Effects Layouts KENTAURIDE which is a TS and Klon in a 125B. That would turn 2 pedals into one on my pedalboard so that is appealing. So if I made a 2 in 1 with that and something else I like I could turn 3 pedals into 2. I was thinking maybe the Timmy or Lighspeed. Or maybe like the Betty Boost which is real Swiss Army knife of boosts. I already have the Mach1 and Betty Boost so I could re-house them in the new double enclosure. Or, go another way like a Guv'nor, or Angry Andy, neither of which I've tired however but have been interested in.

What size enclosure is yours?

Last edited:
Thanks! The wiring isn’t up to my usual standards but I’m fine with it because it was my first time undertaking something like this.

Maybe someone else can verify, but I’m pretty sure the D+ is basically a prehistoric Rat (like a Neanderthal to human progression lol). I’d think they’d play well together; the Rat is more versatile so you could probably just “set it and forget it” with the D+ and twiddle the rat for the sweet spot. Sounds like fun to me!
I mean, kind of, but not really. They do share some similarities. If you took the tone shaping out of the feed back loop and the tone knob, they might be closer. If you compare the schematics you can see the difference. Interesting observation though, I hadn’t really put the two together.

Well…since I posted yesterday I think I have an idea that sounds exciting to me.

This weekend I first heard about the Effects Layouts KENTAURIDE which is a TS and Klon in a 125B. That would turn 2 pedals into one on my pedalboard so that is appealing. So if I made a 2 in 1 with that and something else I like I could turn 3 pedals into 2. I was thinking maybe the Timmy or Lighspeed. Or maybe like the Betty Boost which is real Swiss Army knife of boosts. I already have the Mach1 and Betty Boost so I could re-house them in the new double enclosure. Or, go another way like a Guv'nor, or Angry Andy, neither of which I've tired however but have been interested in.

What size enclosure is yours?
I used a 1590BB.

And I’d love to see you use the Kentauride to make a 3-2! If it were me, since you already have a light and a mid drive, for my 3rd I’d go boost or something harder. Like a Guv’nor (as you suggested) or a RAT

I mean, kind of, but not really. They do share some similarities. If you took the tone shaping out of the feed back loop and the tone knob, they might be closer. If you compare the schematics you can see the difference. Interesting observation though, I hadn’t really put the two together.
Thanks for clarifying! That’s just how someone here in the forum (more knowledgeable than myself) described the comparison between the two. I can’t remember who, but I like the idea of it!

I used a 1590BB.

And I’d love to see you use the Kentauride to make a 3-2! If it were me, since you already have a light and a mid drive, for my 3rd I’d go boost or something harder. Like a Guv’nor (as you suggested) or a RAT
Thanks. I think it almost doesn't matter because if I did a boost as the third, I would still keep a more high gain/rockin' pedal on my board. Currently it is the Lovepedal Hi Volt. If did something like the Governor as #3, I'd probably still keep a more "transparent" drive or boost, like the Lightspeed or Timmy. So I need a 3 in 1 with the Kentauride as one option! :)

The reason I asked about the enclosure you used is because it seems like the Kentauride uses up all of the space top to bottom inside the 125B and the 1590BB isn't as tall as a 125B.

Attachments

• continuumodprotoin.jpg
    continuumodprotoin.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6744.jpg
    IMG_6744.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 11
Back