Mysterioso

Funnel

So, I finally finished this build up. it seems I buy 5 pcbs and then work on them for over a year. Let me tell you this batch of builds was brutal. I had issues with all of them, and the issue was usually me. I have two that I am still sorting out.

Anyways, on to the build. this is a more unique sounding pedal, I don't have experience with 4049 builds so it may sound like those. I have been playing around with it for several weeks and really enjoy what it does. if I run it clean it sounds full really adds to single coils. channel one is clean when gain is at noon and CCW gives a mids emphasis gain and CW a more "transparent" overdrive. the pedal cleans up really well. I haven't built a pedal that cleans up this nicely.

The problem I had with this pedal was between on the output trace. I ran a wire from the output jack to the 3pdt breakout board and it solved it. But I definitely burned a few things before I figured it out. I think I burned three or four caps and the dip switch. the outside of the pedal looks great, and the inside is a different story. the faceplate is from amplifyfun.
IMG_3255.jpeg IMG_3263.jpeg

I can see why. It certainly is a good sounding pedal. It stacks better than many pedals I’ve tried. I was excited when Brian released the project and promptly forgot about it. Unfortunately, I easily get distracted by overdrive pedals, like a bird with shiny things. So it fell to the back of my mind, as I saw and built some of the new OD projects. Im happy I came back to this pedal though. I’m finally able to try it at band practice tonight. Curious to see how it sounds in a mix.

So I have been spending time dialling this pedal in. First off, I installed the dip switch upside down, which caused the bright setting to be dark and almost unusable. I was about to give up on it when I discovered my mistake. Now it sounds much much better. It responds really well to dynamics. The volume clean up on it is fantastic as well. It’s similar to a good fuzz face in that way. I have to try it in a band setting again cause the dark setting really changed how I played the pedal. There was a lot of bass and when I would dig in the low end would fall apart. Well it can be a useable sound it wasn’t what I was looking for. It will stay on my board for the time being. And if anyone is interested I will report back on how it sounds after the honeymoon period is over.

I built the Mysterioso a couple years ago. I was blown away when I first built it. So much so, I set about looking for other CMOS-based effects. If you haven't seen it already, check this out: Design Challenge #2, which is @Chuck D. Bones's CD4007-based overdrive (and he later came up with a Deluxe version. Both that and the Mysterioso got put aside due to compulsively building and trying new pedals. Your post reminds me I need to dig those out and revisit them!

Back