Need some help please

TheSin

In purchased some 2N5457s on Ebay and compared em to some I had from Small Bear. Using my cheapie component tester it reads-
Small Bear reading:
NJFET and gives me a “I” and “Vgs” reading
Ebay reading:
NPN and gives me a “hfe” and “Uf” reading

Im thinkin I got fakes, or am I missing something?? Heres a pic of both...thanks.

Attachments

• A9C98EC1-0C14-47EF-9A73-3E89410CB0C7.jpeg
    A9C98EC1-0C14-47EF-9A73-3E89410CB0C7.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 11
In purchased some 2N5457s on Ebay and compared em to some I had from Small Bear. Using my cheapie component tester it reads-
Small Bear reading:
NJFET and gives me a “I” and “Vgs” reading
Ebay reading:
NPN and gives me a “hfe” and “Uf” reading

Im thinkin I got fakes, or am I missing something?? Heres a pic of both...thanks.
Fakes
Its happened to me several times
Ask for a refund
Your best bet now-a-days is getting surface mount and little conversion boards
I have had real ones read NPN on those cheap testers though...
But I knew they were real...Off of eBay they’re probably fakes...

Those bastards! Lol.
I even bought em from a source here in the states thinkin it would be safe.
Thank you very much!

I've never had issue with anything from guitarpcb, I've still got J201's I bought from him

Not sure whether or not they're genuine (I don't have a tester), but I got a few from GuitarPCB:

I ended up buying some smd’s from Tayda and the pcb adaptors from PPCB...I’ll be doing that for J201s and 2N5457s from now on.

Mouser has, or had some not that long ago. About a month or so ago. A lil pricey, but I’m sure they’re legit, coming from mouser. At least that what I assume!

Fakes
Its happened to me several times
Ask for a refund
Your best bet now-a-days is getting surface mount and little conversion boards
I have had real ones read NPN on those cheap testers though...
But I knew they were real...Off of eBay they’re probably fakes...

This is a tough lesson to learn with eBay (there are some legitimate sellers but many are Chinese/Asian fakes)
I’d would also advise caution with Tayda, thier jfets have been confirmed counterfeit. However most of their products are fine, just avoid any germanium/Jfet/MOSFET/anything out of production.. This goes for any overseas dealers whose prices may seem too good to be true..
Unless you don’t mind the risk, go with Smallbear, And if you they’re not carrying it pay a little more @Mouser..

Back