DEMO Nivel Overdrive (1981 LVL)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
So in an industry where the notion of "hype" goes way beyond simply "marketing" and a well executed "hype" strategy can ensure that your pedal orders will always have a backlog, there's "over the top" hype that can be pretty baffling. Take for instance, why anyone would ever put themselves on a 4 year wait list for MBB variant is just beyond me.

Enter 1981. I guess I've been living under a rock because I'd never even heard of them until I started doing some research on building the "Informant" drive. (1981 DRV). Granted it's a great sounding pedal, I really like it quite a bit, just like I really like my KOT clones.

When @Robert told me he was working on their new (and only second pedal release) the 1981 LVL, it was like "well, color me interested".

It was on my wishlist and when it popped up in an in stock email notification, I immediately grabbed one.

Again, doing some research about what this pedal is, honestly, I was expecting more. Which is another way of saying that I'm underwhelmed with the Nivel.

The DRV has a lot going for it, even though it's "just" a Rat variant. It actually sounds good, and has a lot of flexibility and tone shaping on tap that's not available on a stock Rat. So it's an additive extension of the whole Rat concept.

Which is why for the LVL. I was kind of expecting at least something more than........an opamp boost. Which is all I'm getting from the LVL.
There's a ton of "hype" marketing nomenclature floating around about this pedal. "Full Range Overdriver" (which means it will work with your bass, as do 95% of my other boost pedals). It's a "professional low gain device". Uhm.....this kinda smacks of the whole Kirk Hammett "for real guitar players" thing heh. I guess since I'm not a professional musician, then I won't get it? (That COULD explain why I don't get it heh).

"Culmination of a 4 year process and I needed the help of another pedal designer to get this done". Heh, well I guess that speaks for itself.

Ok, so enough of my snarkiness......it's actually not a bad sounding pedal. It's essentially a boost/buffer that has some opamp clipping with the gain dialed up.

It kind of fits into the same niche that I've been using my "Obtuse Boost" (Fulltone Fat Boost 2) for. Except that the Obtuse has more flexibility in that it has a tone stack.

I wired my Nivel boost as true bypass as I don't really need another buffer at the start of my signal chain.

Otherwise it's built stock.

I used a Tayda Gold enclosure and like my Informant build, I laid out the footswitch with a nod towards the original pedal.
I also used some aluminum knobs, again as a nod towards the original retail pedal.

IMG_5849.JPG

IMG_5846.JPG

The build was smooth as expected. I have not gotten a look at the schematic yet to see what's going on circuit wise, but I'm not expecting any surprises nor am I expecting anything that strays too far from the Orman boost concept.

I recorded a demo trying to show what it sounds like. It does a pretty nice job boosting another drive pedal and also boosting a crunchy set amp.
(But again, nothing really special here, I have a dozen other boosts that can do the same thing.

I think the closest thing it comes to my ears is a bit of a cross between the Fat Boost and the Katana Boost with the grit setting.

I don't regret building it at all, but I'm still scratching my head a bit on this one. Maybe I'm missing something that someone can fill me in on?

Great build. Been waiting for your demo on this. I had a hunch you would be trying it out. Glad you did. It sounds good but just not a 'must have' pedal. May have swayed me from pulling the trigger for the moment at least. I get caught up in the "new and shiny" stuff.

Great build and I love the write up, I feel like this company is very well funded in the marketing department or at least very good at selling the warez. I built the informant and didn't really like it, its not bad but it isn't anything to write home about.

Pedals like this is why I love DIY so much, it is way less sad when something sucks and you know you can scrap the parts and use them elsewhere and not be at a loss when you sell a stinker pedal.

So in an industry where the notion of "hype" goes way beyond simply "marketing" and a well executed "hype" strategy can ensure that your pedal orders will always have a backlog, there's "over the top" hype that can be pretty baffling. Take for instance, why anyone would ever put themselves on a 4 year wait list for MBB variant is just beyond me.

Enter 1981. I guess I've been living under a rock because I'd never even heard of them until I started doing some research on building the "Informant" drive. (1981 DRV). Granted it's a great sounding pedal, I really like it quite a bit, just like I really like my KOT clones.

When @Robert told me he was working on their new (and only second pedal release) the 1981 LVL, it was like "well, color me interested".

It was on my wishlist and when it popped up in an in stock email notification, I immediately grabbed one.

Again, doing some research about what this pedal is, honestly, I was expecting more. Which is another way of saying that I'm underwhelmed with the Nivel.

The DRV has a lot going for it, even though it's "just" a Rat variant. It actually sounds good, and has a lot of flexibility and tone shaping on tap that's not available on a stock Rat. So it's an additive extension of the whole Rat concept.

Which is why for the LVL. I was kind of expecting at least something more than........an opamp boost. Which is all I'm getting from the LVL.
There's a ton of "hype" marketing nomenclature floating around about this pedal. "Full Range Overdriver" (which means it will work with your bass, as do 95% of my other boost pedals). It's a "professional low gain device". Uhm.....this kinda smacks of the whole Kirk Hammett "for real guitar players" thing heh. I guess since I'm not a professional musician, then I won't get it? (That COULD explain why I don't get it heh).

"Culmination of a 4 year process and I needed the help of another pedal designer to get this done". Heh, well I guess that speaks for itself.

Ok, so enough of my snarkiness......it's actually not a bad sounding pedal. It's essentially a boost/buffer that has some opamp clipping with the gain dialed up.

It kind of fits into the same niche that I've been using my "Obtuse Boost" (Fulltone Fat Boost 2) for. Except that the Obtuse has more flexibility in that it has a tone stack.

I wired my Nivel boost as true bypass as I don't really need another buffer at the start of my signal chain.

Otherwise it's built stock.

I used a Tayda Gold enclosure and like my Informant build, I laid out the footswitch with a nod towards the original pedal.
I also used some aluminum knobs, again as a nod towards the original retail pedal.

View attachment 57381

I don't regret building it at all, but I'm still scratching my head a bit on this one. Maybe I'm missing something that someone can fill me in on?

Probably the Tone control!

Here's the schematic for inquiring minds......

Schematic-Nivel.png

Well, upon seeing the schematic, it's readily apparent why it took 4 years and two minds to come up with that!

Jest joking; as it takes me years to get anything done, pot calls ketamine back.

I'd love to see a group shot of all the pedals you've built — even the ones you've given to your brother or otherwise sent away, have a "family reunion" of sorts...

Glad you're on the level with this one.

The sound of the LVL is a little underwhelming despite your playing, which is great as usual.

What a weird circuit. Seems like a pretty low input impedance with that 2n3904 and 100k bias resistor. Also I'm trying to understand IC1.2 because it seems like it would have just a smidge of voltage gain with the 6.81k resistor being so much lower than the 22k, and 39k resistors on the other half of the inverting op amp. So it's slightly boosting above 185hz and 153hz? I'm just sort of scratching my head here lol

The sound of the LVL is a little underwhelming despite your playing, which is great as usual.

What a weird circuit. Seems like a pretty low input impedance with that 2n3904 and 100k bias resistor. Also I'm trying to understand IC1.2 because it seems like it would have just a smidge of voltage gain with the 6.81k resistor being so much lower than the 22k, and 39k resistors on the other half of the inverting op amp. So it's slightly boosting above 185hz and 153hz? I'm just sort of scratching my head here lol
Same

It's a very complex way to achieve something quite ordinary. The buffer is a Cornish Buffer. Not sure whether the wiring does anything to increase impedance, but it's an established circuit so I guess it should be good enough...

Yet, I feel like you could leave out the entirety of the circuit after the volume pot (just add an output cap in front of it) and get basically the same result. The tone shaping of the IC stage after shouldn't matter and the last IC just flips polarity back to normal. The "soft clipping" (or rather limiting) zener diodes can be found in the Arche boost too... Actually it might be most comparable to that one.

Back