(Not Another) Enclosure Finishing Thread

I understand what you're saying. And I would say if that's what someone wants to do for sure I wouldn't criticize them.
My criticism is most certainly with Krylon and Rustoleum. Krylon is not designed to work with any other product or even their own clear coat in some cases. It does not last very long, and it does not have very much pigment in it at all. So it seems like you're saving money, but not as much as you'd think. A can of model Masters Paint from testors has more pigment in it than a whole can of Krylon. It goes on smoother and dries
Rust-Oleum makes a few good paints. Specifically the hammer tone. When it's a fresh can you can use it and it'll dry in a decent time and be a pretty good finish. Again not much pigment compared for the size of the can, and it doesn't last very long.
Again just my opinion from my experiences painting a lot of different stuff. Enclosures, RC model aircraft, cars, guitars, etc.
I respect your disagreement. It is all personal preference.
I agree that you don't save money. A can of Rust-Oleum will only yield a few pedals at best, and it's not the cheapest option. I wouldn't even say that it's the best option. I am just saying that if you want to spray paint an enclosure, the best results that I personally have gotten have been with the Rust-Oleum 2x paint + primer. I've never tried model Masters Paint, so I'm definitely not saying that Rust-Oleum is better than anything else on the market. I'm just saying it's not the worst option you have.

I would agree with that. Because Krylon is the worst option you have LOL.
All kidding aside, I've actually had great results with Rust-Oleum silver Hammer tone paint. I noticed it definitely has to be fresh though. Or it doesn't want to dry.
I would recommend you check out the model Masters paints. Tiny little cans but they have a ton of pigment and they go on so smooth. Lots of cool colors too.

Back