SOLVED Nugget Fuzz Tone

Just finished this build. Sounds great and ridiculous, but one strange issue. The tone control really seems to affect the volume. Is this normal?

That's normal. The tone control in the circuit is a pretty weak low-pass filter, same as the Cornish G-2. The range is narrow so while shaving off a bit of treble, it more so just acts like how you noticed, a secondary volume control. If the main volume knob is run a bit lower, you can can hear a bit more 'sweep' out of the tone knob...barely. But overall it's a bit useless. It's worse in the G-2 circuit, and better in the SS-3 circuit where it's paired with a high pass filter and you can actually shift the tone around.

If you want even more ridiculous...bias knob on an external pot and the Cornish buffer circuit in front.

It's normal for the TONE control to do that. I would not call it "weak." You can fix it if you like. Make TONE B25K, C11 470nF and C13 82nF. TONE will still affect the volume, but to a much lesser degree. Plenty of other pedals do the same thing.

Which Ge diodes did you use? They need to be low leakage. Most Ge diodes won't cut it.

That's normal. The tone control in the circuit is a pretty weak low-pass filter, same as the Cornish G-2. The range is narrow so while shaving off a bit of treble, it more so just acts like how you noticed, a secondary volume control. If the main volume knob is run a bit lower, you can can hear a bit more 'sweep' out of the tone knob...barely. But overall it's a bit useless. It's worse in the G-2 circuit, and better in the SS-3 circuit where it's paired with a high pass filter and you can actually shift the tone around.

If you want even more ridiculous...bias knob on an external pot and the Cornish buffer circuit in front.
Thank you that's super helpful! I did the external by default.. figured I would want that control. I will have to try the buffer. Overall it's a pretty great fuzz!

It's normal for the TONE control to do that. I would not call it "weak." You can fix it if you like. Make TONE B25K, C11 470nF and C13 82nF. TONE will still affect the volume, but to a much lesser degree. Plenty of other pedals do the same thing.

Which Ge diodes did you use? They need to be low leakage. Most Ge diodes won't cut it.
Perfect I will try this mod first. I think I got lucky with my diodes. They were some 1n34a's I had lying around. Can't recall where I got them. Circuit seems to be working well though!

Back