SOLVED Nutty Fuzz help

Cvoxdog

Hey all, I put together the nutty fuzz and I'm getting gnarly fuzz tones but there's no oscillator signal so I can't get the wild video game tones or have the external pedal do anything. I ordered this 9203 from digikey: https://www.digikey.com/en/products...x/PDV-P9203/480628?s=N4IgTCBcDaIJxgAwGYQF0C+Q. Do I need to bite the bullet and order the one from jameco? The only sub I did was a J113 instead of a J112. I also used a tlc555cp chip from small bear. Any ideas where I should be looking?

I used a couple different LDRs while prototyping, while they did change the taper/response of the Tone control the circuit still basically behaved like it should.

The J112 is a source follower so I believe the J113 should be fine.

The chip you currently have in it is the "proper" chip. It does it's thing best with the CMOS versions of the 555. The bipolar versions work, but it doesn't get nearly as nasty

What kind of guitar / pickups are you using? And what setting have you tried? The Threshold and Balance work in reverse of what I'd consider intuitive.

Does the LED respond to your playing?

I'd think the 9203s from Digikey would be legit, but the Jameco ones are definitely what they say they are.

I used a couple different LDRs while prototyping, while they did change the taper/response of the Tone control the circuit still basically behaved like it should.

The J112 is a source follower so I believe the J113 should be fine.

In my experience (a welcome revelation building according to the Nutty screenprint) the 9203 is by far the superior LDR to use.

I used MPF102 in mine, and its dandy

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out what's going on. The only knobs that seem to do anything currently are the level and blend pots. The led does light up when I play and I used various guitars with different pickups to test it.

I'm still trying to figure out what's going on. The only knobs that seem to do anything currently are the level and blend pots. The led does light up when I play and I used various guitars with different pickups to test it.
Could we get some clear pics of both sides of the board when you get a chance?

When the blend is fully counterclockwise, do you still get sound?

Your expression jack is wrong. It needs to be a switched TRS. As is, the wiper of that pot isn't currently connected to anything

To test, jumper the two middle lug holes together

Last edited:
I just tried it with the lights off, enclosure shut, black light posters in the room for some light ambiance and it's still doing the same thing. It's got to be the chip right? I need to place a stompboxparts order anyways so I'll just order a ne555p to see if that is the solution. If that doesn't work I'll just order a new board and do it all over again!

I swapped out the 2 chips and got all the squelchy goodness of this circuit. I put in a lm386n-3 (lm386l prior) and replaced the cmos555 for the ne555p. I'll have to hack out the expression jack for the new one I bought next! Thanks for everybody's help. I'm digging this crazy thing. Sounds especially good with the octarock.

You made the right choice! I've built at least dozen of these through the years, and using the 9203 definitely helped me appreciate it more than any of the other optos I used
I appreciate the feedback. I was trying to save a buck to see if I could use what I had on hand, but in the end I decided to heed the advice from a more experienced pedal builder than myself.

Back