OctaMayer and Special Overdrive

JamieJ

I finished off two builds today which were both quite surprising, as I wasn't expecting too much from them both. Both pedals are stock with no mods. Both enclosures are bare and I was messing about with some sharpie pens and stamps on the fuzz and then coloured them in afterwards. I think it looks shit - but in a good way :ROFLMAO:
I will probably leave the special blank for the moment. I was only building these out of curiosity, which is why these are design-less.

The Octa Mayer is amazing. I only have experience with the Foxx Tonemachine type of octafuzz circuits, which are useless below the twelfth fret where the octamayer is amazing all over the neck. I had a tonecity one that was pretty meh - it sort of achieved that sound but not what I wanted in my head. This one is definitely a keeper.

The Special Overdrive sounds very similar to the Zendrive clone I built, but it just sounds better (to my ears), so I think it has won a space on my board. This is with it powered at 9v and it still beats the Zendrive powered at 9 and 18v. I ran low on caps for the special build and used one rated at 16v so I will need to swap that out in future to see how it sounds at 18v.

I will probably make up some faceplates for these builds as they are probably going to be on my board for a while.

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

Had to add Octamayer to my PPCB "short list" because of you & Fig. 😼

Cool builds, no need for face-plates if they were going on my board. There's enough visual interest with the knob selection on the SO and the ink on the Octa and black footsw.

Had to add Octamayer to my PPCB "short list" because of you & Fig. 😼

Cool builds, no need for face-plates if they were going on my board. There's enough visual interest with the knob selection on the SO and the ink on the Octa and black footsw.
Thanks @Feral Feline and @fig - I bet the octamayer would sound cool on bass.

Maybe I should use the letter stamps and black ink to call the special The SOD.

Hello, I just finished the Special Overdrive and I find that the pots are working differently than other pedals. If I increase the gain, I barely use volume knob at 11 o' clock, is it normal? By the way Special Overdrive is based on which Dumbloid; Dumbloid Special, Dumbloid Overdrive Special?
Cheers

@ntuncer I haven’t played it for a while but I remember needing to set the volume and gait pretty low. It has a huge amount of output. So I don’t think there sounds like a problem with your pedal if that’s the only concern.

I think it’s based on the Dumbloid Special Overdrive - same as this model:

Back