Op Amp gain explanation help please

chaset

Can someone explain what the part of the circuit below is doing? I assume some kind of filtering for the gain stage, but what exactly is going on... I've tried scouring all over but can't find anything about the series/parallel stuff going on and the what/why. This is from the first stage of the paragon/kot/bluesbreaker, etc.

On the Wampler video he took out the two resistors and capacitors, and just put the 1k resistor with a 220n cap going to ground to boost the gain and it sounded fatter too. He didn't explain the what or why though. I'm trying to understand what's going on instead of paint by numbers.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 1.54.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 1.54.55 PM.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 19
There's really not enough info in that schematic snippette. Find a comprehensive datasheet for the opamps used in this circuit. A lot of datasheets will have example circuits and how to obtain different gain values determined by the feedback resistor. The R/C configurations are just going to establish a a frequency limit and those frequencies can be determined by some of the many R/C filtering calculators found thru Google searches. Hope this helps.

Sorry yeah I cut too much out. I've added more of the circuit now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 7.09.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 7.09.07 PM.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 13
What you are seeing is actually 2 things: the gain of the opamp (noninverting in the screenshot below since the input goes into pin 3 (+)) as well as tone filters (screenshot even more below). The tone filter is necessary to complete the negative feedback loop in the circuit and more or less "selects" the frequency to get amplified. If you want to read more into it here's a good link. http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/how-to-build-it/technical-help/articles/design-distortion/

1630323989193.png
1630324039580.png

You may want to wander over to this thread for more learning. Glad I could help!

Between chucks boneyard and the test kitchen you should be able to find the answers or resources that can answer your questions pertaining to building pedals. And if you do your homework first and ask nicely someone is usually willing to spoon feed you a little bit to get you on the right track.... I know this from experience.

Sorry if my tone seemed salty, snarky, or rude.. that wasn’t my intention... It’s been my experience that the best teachers I ever had have always given me just enough rope to hang myself with...🤣 if I’m not messing up or a little scared I’m not trying hard enough...lol @BuddytheReow buy seriously you guys are doing an awesome job with the test kitchen, I have learned a lot and love being part of this community.

Sorry if my tone seemed salty, snarky, or rude.. that wasn’t my intention... It’s been my experience that the best teachers I ever had have always given me just enough rope to hang myself with...🤣 if I’m not messing up or a little scared I’m not trying hard enough...lol @BuddytheReow buy seriously you guys are doing an awesome job with the test kitchen, I have learned a lot and love being part of this community.
I did not read ANY of that in your tone when I read your post.

I am happy to share my knowledge with anyone who want to learn with me. I'm not an EE so this is all self learning. I figured it would be better to write my thoughts down and help others take their builds to the next level!

I like Snarky Puppy...

logo-pup.png

Shofukan, We Like It Here.

FWIW, I wanted to comment after Buddy's nice people post: "And sometimes nasty people want to contribute, too", but it wouldn't have been in reference to Paradox916's initial post. either, which I also didn't read as being anything like what he described it as in his subsequent post.

What do I know, though, I've been told my whole life "Don't use that tone with me" or "It was the tone in which you said it"... or similar ...

Tone it down y'all.

Back