OPA2134 - source?

lcipher3

Getting quite a few projects on my list that specify OPA2134
Anyone have a reliable inexpensive source? Mouser and Digikey are $$$
There are some from China of course - but counterfeits abound.... anyone successfully buy from a seller?

(taydaelectronics doesn't have any in stock)

I would go with Digi-Key. But I would buy one 2134 and a batch of NE5532s. Socket them and see if there’s a difference...if there is then order up some more 2134s :)

I’m doing this experiment currently, as soon as my Delegate board arrives.

If you don't mind adapters, the smd version of the opa2134 is cheaper. I have used the opa1642 as a replacement. It's a better chip. Not sure a guitar effect could do it justice. The opa1678 looks like a better chip, as well and it's less than a buck.

If you don't mind adapters, the smd version of the opa2134 is cheaper. I have used the opa1642 as a replacement. It's a better chip. Not sure a guitar effect could do it justice. The opa1678 looks like a better chip, as well and it's less than a buck.
With effects sometimes the lesser quality is more better

Agreed. A lot times, delays, modulation pedals, compressors, boosts, buffers, mixers, adc, dacs, etc sound good with a good audio. Dirt pedals, depends on the design. Some dirt pedals sound like crap with a good opamp - Dist+, Crowther Hotcake, SS2 and many more. I wouldn't want a rat with an opa2134. However, the Vertex Ultraphonix sounds good with an opa2134. Or a zendrive with an ad712.

I've tried and tested quite a few chips including the opa2134 (american made) with a Zendrive, the Ultraphonix, and a few other pedals. I made recordings of all of them playing the same riff and chords; to my surprise, the obscure TLC2272CP chip sounded the best to my ears, and the ears of 3 friends of mine. It added some girth and clarity to the tone and a bit of sensitivity to the attack (dynamics). The opa2134 was a close second, follow by the AD712JN originally used in the Zendrive. I'm currently selling all the chips I tried in a bundle on Ebay including the TLC2272CP since I got 6 of them when I purchase them.

I got a handful with my last Tayda order and they seem on par with any others I get. I suspect they're legit because the price is about on the same as everyone else if I recall.

I find the OPA2134 tends to get rid of the nasty fizz as the notes fade away so I would class it as Smooooth!!!
Very handy if a pedal has that flaw in it's design!

Lotta counterfeit OPA2134s around. Get them from an authorized distributor like Mouser or DigiKey, otherwise you'll probably end up with a TL072 that's been scrubbed and relabeled. Not saying TL072 is bad, it's just not an OPA2134.

Back