Oxide Distortion

music6000

This is a Great Sounding Pedal, I had built the Aion version back in 2017 in the standard layout they use to have.
I wanted to build a Pedal PCB version so here it is.
At the same time as I was building it, Wampler just released his version with a Twist.
So being it is a Mosfet based OpAmp CA3260E, I decided I would use BS170 Mosfet's in the clipping instead of 1N4148's.
Twisting the Gate & Source legs together turns it into a silicon based Diode with the same forward voltage as 1N4148's.
It sounds the same to me!!!

Mosfortion Overdrive PedalPCB 1.jpg
Mosfortion Overdrive PedalPCB 2.jpg

I've got an Aion Legacy board waiting for its turn, and I was going to do exactly what you did — MOSFETs as clipping diodes! 🤘
I was wondering if it would sound good or not; great to read it will be.

Interesting that it's the same forward voltage as the 1N4148s. Would using 2N7000 instead of BS170 make a difference? I was going to use 2N7000.

LOVE your build, great naMe and aMazing clean&siMple graphic. 😻

I've got an Aion Legacy board waiting for its turn, and I was going to do exactly what you did — MOSFETs as clipping diodes! 🤘
I was wondering if it would sound good or not; great to read it will be.

Interesting that it's the same forward voltage as the 1N4148s. Would using 2N7000 instead of BS170 make a difference? I was going to use 2N7000.

LOVE your build, great naMe and aMazing clean&siMple graphic. 😻
Gate & Source twisted together = Anode
Drain = Cathode, Forward Voltage is 0.62v
You will know if you stuff it up, Drain & Gate twisted together with give you around 3 volts!

Back