Oxide Distortion

Nice clean build. And without the benefit of Build Docs!

Oh wait, Aion has build docs. Appears that the CA3260 is back in production. Those suckers are pricy though at $5 ea. You get yours from Mouser?

Last edited:
I'll bet TL072 would sound the same. All of the clipping is in the diodes. If you're selling it as an authentic clone, or like sniffing corks, then you have to pony up for the CA3260xxx. Otherwise, install a socket and find out for yourself whether you can hear the difference. I have opinions about the input & output buffers as well. It's all about the corks.

I'll bet TL072 would sound the same. All of the clipping is in the diodes. If you're selling it as an authentic clone, or like sniffing corks, then you have to pony up for the CA3260xxx. Otherwise, install a socket and find out for yourself whether you can hear the difference. I have opinions about the input & output buffers as well. It's all about the corks.
Yeah there’s not much difference
I checked when I first built it

Yeah I'll probably sand the label off an TL072 and scribble by hand CA3260 on there.... the cork will sniff so much musty redder and oak flavoured and flowery...

FYI the build doc (dated 11/24/20) has C101 listed as both 47u and 10u electrolytic. The schematic says 47u. It's just a power filter-ish cap for VREF so while I'm sure either would work, 47u seems more typical and logical there. That is all.

Back