Paragon Mini with mods

markuus

Just finished this build this week, and absolutely love this pedal. Had never played a KoT circuit in person (I'm about 3 years down the list on Analogman's waitlist), but I understand why people love this circuit. Definitely a keeper for my board.

What do you think of blue and cream knobs? Kept the design as simple as possible while still evoking the KoT. I didn't use the color I intended for the Tayda UV printing so it's a really pale greyish color instead of gold, but still looks pretty nice.

I used a the "warmer" mods @ckaudioeffects documented here, omitting all the other mods (most of which aren't relevant/feasible for the Mini). I don't have any other KoTs to compare with, but it does sound warm and full with the modded values. There's a good amount of lower end without getting muddy, at least with my Tele.

(If you do the capacitor mods, don't do what I did and assume both channels are arranged in exactly the same way. C4 and C17 are in slightly different places on the PCB between the two channels. I missed that and placed two capacitors incorrectly at first. Including a diagram attach to this post in case it helps anyone else wanting to mod their Paragon Mini.)

I used 10k resistors in R3 and R20 as @MichaelW suggested (apparently the value in the original KoT) and used B250k pots in place of B100k for the two Drive pots per @Chuck D. Bones. With those values, the Drive knobs have really wide sweep from mostly clean to very dirty. So far, I'm liking having the right/red channel cranked and the left/yellow channel set to light drive.

I went with BA282 diodes in place of MA856 and 1N914 in place of 1S1588, and used DIP-6 sockets so I can experiment, though haven't had a chance to do that yet. So far, I really prefer the soft clipping at both higher and lower gain settings and currently have both channels set that way. I've got a bunch of the diodes people suggested on here, so maybe I'll like some other options for the hard clippers.

Attachments

• Pedal.jpg
    Pedal.jpg
    1,007.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Guts.jpg
    Guts.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 167
  • Paragon Mini PCB mods.png
    Paragon Mini PCB mods.png
    147.7 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Awesome looking build, and I love the knob colors!
Funny, I just had mine out today after not touching it for months. Somehow it sounds different than my full size Paragon.
A bit meatier. Still loving it!

Would these mods also be good for PoT Pauper?
The Pauper is a different sounding pedal and doesn't really need those mods. The warmer tone mod really is the most beneficial for the full size Paragon project that has a strange anomaly that's been noticed by some folks (like me) in that it tends towards the bright side even though the schematic is largely accurate to the originals.

Back