SOLVED Paragon Whistle/Scream

piapium

Unfortunately another pedal hasn’t worked at first try again.

1st channel engaged:
tone pot is full -> whistle

2nd channel engaged:
tone pot is full -> whistle

Both channels engaged -> whistle on any position of the pots.

Will upload pictures and a video tomorrow.

Appreciate any help. Thanks!

Last edited:
And for the first capacitor- c1 the board says 10n but the documents say 22n. Could it be the problem? I put a 22n on the board.

Last edited:
C1 is a coupling capacitor, it is preventing any stray DC voltage from getting into 1st op amp stage from the input. It also forms a high pass filter with R2, this will attenuate low frequencies, but the cut off freq is around 7 Hz at 22n and 15hz at 10n. Both freq's are below the frequency range of your hearing so there is really no effect, also 8 Hz is negligible. So no difference between 10n and 22n.

With IC1 and 2 removed, pin 3 voltage should be whatever Vref is, it is not. Vref is 9V. Remove power from circuit. Check resistance between IC2 pin 3 and R2, both sides of resistor. You should have 0ohms on one side and 1Meg on the other side of R2. Then check IC1, pin 3 and both sides of R16. Should measure same as IC2. Also check pin 3 to ground, it should be open. Pins 1 and 2 should be 0volts with IC removed.

40B18783-D753-4D30-8596-F8E0A5451B5C.jpeg
Have I been checking wrong? Should I use v~ 200? I’ve been checking according to the above picture. R2 and R16 are as you said. Pin 1-2 are 0 also.

Last edited:
View attachment 7041
Have I been checking wrong? Should I use v~ 200? I’ve been checking according to the above picture. R2 and R16 are as you said. Pin 1-2 are 0 also.
That’s DC voltage, with power removed it will be 0. Place meter on 2000k for resistance and check. That’s in the bottom blue section of meter dial switch. Always check resistance with no power. At 9 volts it drives your meter nuts, but at 480Vac it blows the meter up???

Nope, check the resistance between the points, Trying to figure out why you only have 4.5 volts at pin 3. It should be 9V. Making sure the connection is good and also want to make sure there is no path to ground from pin 3. The 4.5V is baffling.

This has me scratching my head. Put IC1 and 2 back in, remove IC3 and power it up and see if it still whines. Removing IC3 will have the pedal running at 9V instead of 18. If the whine is gone, try a different TC1044.

Already tried. I can use both channels but when I turn up volume gain and tone it starts whistling. But it is usable up to a point. When I touch guitar strings and output jack it whistles.

Only if when I touch the string it whines. If I touch the strings and output jack it whines. And when touch the strings hum gets louder. I’m recording a video.

Back