Parasit Studios Sonic Reducer

peccary

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I hadn't planned on making a build report on this but I'm sitting here today with some extra time and I figured why not?

A friend of mine asked if I could make him a bitcrusher and I figured that would give me an excuse to buy a few things I've wanted from Parasit Studios since there were a few things there that I'd been eyeballing for a while.

This was a pretty quick and easy build, though I was in a miserable mood when I was putting it together so I made some things harder on myself. One thing I wish I could blame on my frustration but can't is the fact that I labeled the knobs backwards. I spent a bunch of time going back and forth with the fonts I wanted to use and had multiple versions and at some point they got flipped. Good thing it's a bitcrusher, I guess? :ROFLMAO:

I had never used one before building this and, well... I'm not sure if I'll ever find myself wanting one for guitar. It's certianly not something I think I would find very useful, at least on it's own.

However, I plugged it in to my Microbrute and holy cow - that was where I had a lot of fun with it. I sat there for about an hour the other day just making crazy sounds with it on the synth. I didn't think I would want one but now I am kind of wishing that I bought a board for myself just for my synths.

I can also safely say that this pedal wants side jacks, which I refuse to do on personal and moral grounds, and that the clearance is *tight*. I'm kind of amazed it all worked out, but it did.

The image was AI generated and I was going for an 80's sci-fi/horror VHS box kind of thing. Thanks to @fig as well for the pre-wired LED. He sent me a few a while back and it's perfect as I didn't have any yellow LEDs.

also, just a quick shout out to Parasit - they're halfway across the world and got my package to me in less than a week. I was pretty amazed about that.

Here's a couple of photos, including one showing the jack clearance. I was able to move them up a smidge with the play in the jack holes (heh) but they are still pretty darn close.

I'm giving the build five stars because Parasit put together a well made and easy to build board, but I'm giving myself a C for the labeling mistake.

crusher1.jpg

Crusher2.jpg

crusher3.jpg

Last edited:
You killed it with the horror VHS box art theme and that twisted wire is pure perfection

Thanks, man. I appreciate that. I've been watching amp building videos and have picked up a few tips from them. I twisted the LED wire and thought "I can do better than that, I remember that dude in the video using a drill..." and the others came out perfectly.

You‘ve got enough room, and it’s a cool enough design, that moving the board south and then off board wiring the pots would be a not-hard fix.

Excellent! I love this circuit on bass.

I didn't try it on my bass, but I'll have to give it a shot. At least then I might have a chance of getting some kind of useful sound from it. I was underwhelmed wit it on guitar, but I'm not a very good guitar player and it's the first time I had ever used one. It came alive with the synth, though.

Back