DEMO Particle Accelerator (Sushi Box FX)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
When Nathan ( @vigilante398 ) announced this new offering I knew I HAD to build it!
It sounded like one of his "Space Heater" projects but with EQ.

Man, what an awesome tube tone conditioner!

It doesn't have as much "grit" as the Space Heater but it sounds HUGE. Big warm tube goodness at the front of the chain to boost your cleans or boost your dirt pedals. This is also going to be an awesome bass tube preamp.

I haven't tried it at the end of the pedal chain to warm up your signal before it hits the amp or interface but I'm positive it would work extremely well in that application as well.

The 3 band eq controls are extremely well voiced and have a huge range, you can really sculpt your tone with this thing.

Also, the layout of these Gen II DIY boards from SushiBoxFX are excellent. It's WAY easier to build than the original BE, Space Heater and Echo Foxtrot.
This comes courtesy of using a daughterboard design for the tubes, which leaves a lot more room on the main PCB where the old ones had some major crammage going on a very little room for margin of error with soldering.

@vigilante398 you absolutely knocked it out of the park with the new layouts!

Now, onto the not so great, nothing to do with the project or Nathan but my own stupidity.
When I first built the pedal, checked for power, everything was powering up, voltages were good.
I plugged it in and.......no sound with the effect on. Crestfallen and depressed I took it apart to see if I had messed something up but the build looked solid.
Everything looked good from visual inspection.

So when I ordered this board, I also ordered the new layout Black Eye from Nathan as well. Both of these projects use the same new tube daughterboard design.
So I threw all the pcbs in a bag all together. When I went to pull out the parts for the Particle Accelerator I failed to notice that for the BE there is a "Left" and "Right" tube daughterboard. The orientation is "physically" interchangeable but not electronically. Like a dummy I used the wrong daughterboard on the PA.

I realized that when I looked at the Black Eye boards and noticed I had 2 "left" tube boards, then I noticed the one I used on the PA had an "R" designation on it.
So even though everything lined up and matched up all the traces and tube connections were wrong, duhhh......

Anyway, I re-did the tube board with the correct "Left" side one and the PA fired right up after that. Now I need to see if I can salvage the one I used because the tube socket is on the wrong side of the board.

Anyway, if you're planning to build both the PA and Black Eye projects (and you SHOULD:)) check the orientation of the tube daughterboards. DON'T BE LIKE MIKE! :p

I ordered one of Nathan's pre-drilled enclosures with his cool CNC cuts for the vents. Painted it a Brick Red with a couple coats of clear satin over the top.

IMG_4473.JPG

IMG_4480.JPG

The demo I recorded below is really a Three-Fer. It's a demo for the new Wolfetone pickups in my Warmoth Strat that I posted about here.
One interesting thing, I wired the guitar using a Suhr guitar schema (For his Alt-T Dual HB Tele) and decided to try his values for the treble bleed circuit on the volume control. It's a 680pf + 150k resistor in parallel. I'd never used these values before but man, it really sounds good to me. So you see me fiddling with the volume control to show how nicely it retains the highs as its rolled off.

It's also a demo of my Hatchet Overdrive (Greer Tomahawk) build that I posted here.

In the demo I'm boosting a couple of different drive pedals with the Particle Accelerator and also stacking the Hatchet with the Mach 1 (cuz @geoffrey said so....:))

From right to left: Particle Accelerator, Hatchet OD, Mach 1, Bullrush, Timbre Man.

There's a huge low end bloom that the Particle Accelerator imparts to the drives that I'm not sure comes across really well in video but it's a luscious sound.

Great stuff! I'm looking forward to building the re-vamped Black Eye.

That demo nails it. Well, to be honest all your demo's are pretty much benchmarks. I love this pedal but I've so fine tuned my live rig I don't want to mess with it. I think the secret is keeping it early on in the chain and in my case I was getting some cool stuff having it hit early with a compressor directly behind it. There's a potential for a lot of noise that way but I've been using the Bajaman optical and it's not been an issue. My live rig uses the PPCB 6 band tweaked for XTS freqs infront of the comp.

I can imagine using it towards the back like an amp though so a ton of flexibility in the circuit. I also like the fact that although this thing can dish up a bit of dirt, like the original, that's not really the focus.

Everything in that signal chain sounds amazing, especially the PA! Love the Sultans of Swing tone. I'm exactly right now ruminating on graphics for my own PA build and this is making me very excited about it lol. What sort of paint is it that you used?

When Nathan ( @vigilante398 ) announced this new offering I knew I HAD to build it!
It sounded like one of his "Space Heater" projects but with EQ.

Man, what an awesome tube tone conditioner!

It doesn't have as much "grit" as the Space Heater but it sounds HUGE. Big warm tube goodness at the front of the chain to boost your cleans or boost your dirt pedals. This is also going to be an awesome bass tube preamp.

I haven't tried it at the end of the pedal chain to warm up your signal before it hits the amp or interface but I'm positive it would work extremely well in that application as well.

The 3 band eq controls are extremely well voiced and have a huge range, you can really sculpt your tone with this thing.

Also, the layout of these Gen II DIY boards from SushiBoxFX are excellent. It's WAY easier to build than the original BE, Space Heater and Echo Foxtrot.
This comes courtesy of using a daughterboard design for the tubes, which leaves a lot more room on the main PCB where the old ones had some major crammage going on a very little room for margin of error with soldering.

@vigilante398 you absolutely knocked it out of the park with the new layouts!

Now, onto the not so great, nothing to do with the project or Nathan but my own stupidity.
When I first built the pedal, checked for power, everything was powering up, voltages were good.
I plugged it in and.......no sound with the effect on. Crestfallen and depressed I took it apart to see if I had messed something up but the build looked solid.
Everything looked good from visual inspection.

So when I ordered this board, I also ordered the new layout Black Eye from Nathan as well. Both of these projects use the same new tube daughterboard design.
So I threw all the pcbs in a bag all together. When I went to pull out the parts for the Particle Accelerator I failed to notice that for the BE there is a "Left" and "Right" tube daughterboard. The orientation is "physically" interchangeable but not electronically. Like a dummy I used the wrong daughterboard on the PA.

I realized that when I looked at the Black Eye boards and noticed I had 2 "left" tube boards, then I noticed the one I used on the PA had an "R" designation on it.
So even though everything lined up and matched up all the traces and tube connections were wrong, duhhh......

Anyway, I re-did the tube board with the correct "Left" side one and the PA fired right up after that. Now I need to see if I can salvage the one I used because the tube socket is on the wrong side of the board.

Anyway, if you're planning to build both the PA and Black Eye projects (and you SHOULD:)) check the orientation of the tube daughterboards. DON'T BE LIKE MIKE! :p

I ordered one of Nathan's pre-drilled enclosures with his cool CNC cuts for the vents. Painted it a Brick Red with a couple coats of clear satin over the top.

View attachment 45104

View attachment 45105

The demo I recorded below is really a Three-Fer. It's a demo for the new Wolfetone pickups in my Warmoth Strat that I posted about here.
One interesting thing, I wired the guitar using a Suhr guitar schema (For his Alt-T Dual HB Tele) and decided to try his values for the treble bleed circuit on the volume control. It's a 680pf + 150k resistor in parallel. I'd never used these values before but man, it really sounds good to me. So you see me fiddling with the volume control to show how nicely it retains the highs as its rolled off.

It's also a demo of my Hatchet Overdrive (Greer Tomahawk) build that I posted here.

In the demo I'm boosting a couple of different drive pedals with the Particle Accelerator and also stacking the Hatchet with the Mach 1 (cuz @geoffrey said so....:))

From right to left: Particle Accelerator, Hatchet OD, Mach 1, Bullrush, Timbre Man.

There's a huge low end bloom that the Particle Accelerator imparts to the drives that I'm not sure comes across really well in video but it's a luscious sound.

Great stuff! I'm looking forward to building the re-vamped Black Eye.

Had to order another board now thanks to @MichaelW. Got the enclosure too because, man, it looks dope! It arrives today! :p

So the hatchet sounds pretty darn good with the Mach 1, doesn't it? The problem is the more I fiddle with the Hatchet, this seems to be its only useful application for me 😕

What do you think, @MichaelW?

Had to order another board now thanks to @MichaelW. Got the enclosure too because, man, it looks dope! It arrives today! :p

So the hatchet sounds pretty darn good with the Mach 1, doesn't it? The problem is the more I fiddle with the Hatchet, this seems to be its only useful application for me 😕

What do you think, @MichaelW?
Yah the Hatchet's not doing much for me. It's not a Mach 1 heh.

Where the hell am I hearing the vibrato/rotary sound coming from? Are you using a deluxe memory man on the vibrato? Seems to be coming from the repeats.

Wow nice build…sounds just like it! Can’t believe me ears picked that up over crappy cell phone and YouTube compression. There’s nothing else that I’m aware of that can do that sound though so great job on that build lol.

m
I'm actually using dual Deluxe Memory Man delays in series heh. That's what you're hearing.
It's a MadBean "Total Recall" and a MadBean "Tourbus".
Here's the build report.
What’s the status on your PA build? It’s still on the board? Have you tried any different tubes such as 12ay7 or 12at7?

Also, is yours a little bass heavy? Past 9 o clock and mine gets a little deep.

m

What’s the status on your PA build? It’s still on the board? Have you tried any different tubes such as 12ay7 or 12at7?

Also, is yours a little bass heavy? Past 9 o clock and mine gets a little deep.
Nope, it sounds great with the JJ 12AX7. It's still making the rotation for sure!

Back