Passinwind Open Source Hybrid Filter Preamp Builds

Cool, the new one uses those same boards too. So you can add either or both other modules if and when you feel like it. I already have HPFs built into all my bass amps anyway and don’t necessarily need the variable gain stage, but those features are very important to two actual paying customers, hence the bigger enclosure. Plus, I really don’t like to do the exact same thing twice! :cool:
I like modularity, especially in this case.

New v2 125B board in the works, the first real open source contribution to my project that I didn't have to do myself:

Passinwind PW3B-LPFv2_125B.png

This one uses all Tayda parts and there are no SMDs. The designer has already ordered a set of boards from JLCPCB, so hopefully it will go live within the next month or so. And then I'm going to hand off a schematic or two to Robert and let him take things wherever he feels like, because why not?

Latest version of the Baxandall based Bass/Mids EQ module:

PW1B_URB.PNG

And the latest resonant filter module now has gain leveling and polarity swapping built in, so the overall build will finally be non-inverting. Gain range is tunable, my first testers are set up for -10 to +6dB with unity gain at noon.

Family photo of my four WTHPF builds, the one on the right is the Peacock Ore finish and for that build I optimized a few more aspects for upright bass:

WTHPF_Quartet.JPG

The new gain leveler circuit configuration seems to be working really well, so I can can probably go back to something smaller than the 1590BBS now if I build any more of these.

Last edited:
What, no gut shot? 🧐

😸
Ignore the junk behind the curtain...

Too scary, and mostly all you could see would be the little Nomex origami boxes I wrap the modules in before I stuff everything into that enclosure. Starting the next build today or tomorrow, the last of this series. Then I'll get to work on some much tidier solutions with all three of the current modules on one board, way less offboard wiring, etc. But the modular approach I've been using has been super useful during the R&D phase.

CarefreeSlimHalcyon-max-1mb.gif

I dig modular.

Here's a project contributor's new build, using a fiberglass fascia plate made by JLCPCB:

JLCPCB_fascia.jpg

Everything sourced from JLC or Tayda, and he did his own board layout which he has kindly shared. Just waiting on his final testing before we take it live. This is his second go-round, same guy I mentioned a little upthread.

And then I'm about to truck on down to the post office to pick up a couple of these new enclosures that Amplifyfun just did for me:

S90_WTHPF_02.png

Having Spencer drill all the holes is so so worth it! This version is always-on, has side jacks, and is meant for desktop usage rather than being a floor pedal.

My version of the first one in post #30:

Tayda_v2.jpg

Tayda drill and print job, which took a bit longer than usual but came out fine. This particular build especially shines on acoustic guitar, with either piezo and magnetic pickups.

Most recent WTHPF (v4) builds:

Duo1.jpg

v2 needs one more board revision, so live launch is probably about 3-4 weeks out.

Last edited:
Back